Predictions for the 2018 Oscars

In this Feb. 6, 2017 file photo, an Oscar statue is places inside the ballroom at the 89th Academy Awards Nominees Luncheon in Beverly Hills, Calif. Nominations for the 90th Academy Awards were announced on Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2018. (Photo by Danny Moloshok/Invision/AP, File)

The 90th Oscars are rapidly approaching. They’re happening a month from this Sunday to be exact.

March 4 will bring the answer to all of our burning questions regarding who will win the most prestigious award in the film industry.

In the midst of the “Time’s Up” movement, women are proving their place is behind and in front of the camera.

I will make no pretensions about excluding my own biases in my predictions, but will take into account critics reviews and predictions as well as the top contenders from this awards season.

Having seen all but two of the films nominated for best picture, I conjecture that Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri will win. In my heart, I long for Lady Bird or Call Me By Your Name to take the prize, but based on ratings and previous awards, as well as my own love of the film, “Three Billboards” deserves the win.

“Three Billboards” packs a punch, makes the audience laugh out loud, tear up and shift from hatred to love of the main characters so rapidly and naturally, it hardly feels like acting.

For best director, I have to give it to Lady Bird. I mean Greta Gerwig is a genius and there really isn’t more that needs to be said.

For best leading actor, Timothee Chalamet takes the cake. At 22, Chalamet’s skills and emotions projected in Call Me By Your Name are unreal. As if his ability to portray a bi-sexual teenager in the 1980s with not a trace of doubt as to its authenticity is not enough, the final scene of the film seals the deal.

The emotions packed into those last seconds travel a lifetime of feelings, it is a must-see performance in a must-see film.

Best leading actress belongs to Allison Janney. After her Golden Globe win, I saw I, Tonya and was blown away by her performance. Tonya Hardings’ ruthless and eccentric mother is easily seen in the antics Janney portrays.

For those lesser movie buffs, the difference between original and adapted screenplay is simple. An original screenplay was entirely a figment of the writer’s mind, not based on any prior work, while an adapted screenplay takes former works and recreates them for the sceen.

While both require a level of skill and artistry, they work in different realms. To some degree, it may be more difficult to execute a successful adapted screenplay because the writer does not want to stray too far from the original work and must be able to do the author justice.

Best original screenplay obviously goes to Lady Bird. A film can have magnificent actors and a great director, but without an eloquent and emotion-provoking script the film will not reach its full potential.

Greta Gerwig, the brilliant director and creator of Lady Bird, expertly crafted the story, lingo and emotions of a teenager in the early 2000s, and I applaud her. Also, of course I’m going to grasp the chance to show off an amazing, kick-ass female writer and director.

Best adapted screenplay is another easy one, Call Me By Your Name. As a writer, the daunting task of transmuting one masterpiece into another is accomplished seemingly with ease by James Ivory.

While those cover the main awards, I’ll throw in a bonus: best animated feature. Of course, whenever Disney has an animated film in the running, the other contenders do not stand a chance, so best animated feature goes to Coco. Have you seen this movie? I did, but I’m not sure if I really saw any of it because I sobbed through most of the film, it was so beautiful.

Regardless of the outcome of the 90th Academy Awards, these are the winners in my heart.

Abby Brone is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at abigail.brone@uconn.edu.