‘Stop the Bleed Day’ classes to teach students how to treat bleeding in emergencies

(Screenshot via stopthebleedday.org)

The University of Connecticut will host free classes to educate students on how to treat uncontrollable bleeding, especially in the event of a mass casualty, as part of National Stop the Bleed Day on March 31.

The “Stop the Bleed” campaign, which the Obama administration began in 2015, has grown drastically in response to shootings like the recent mass casualties in Las Vegas and Kentucky, according to White House archives. National Stop the Bleed Day provides training to individuals looking to help others in case of an emergency, and interested individuals can become instructors and eventually lead classes of their own.

All classes at UConn and across the country are given free of charge, eighth-semester speech, language and hearing sciences major Kristen Whyte said. Whyte instructs the courses at UConn.

“I started (teaching) in September,” Whyte said. “My next class is February 5 and I hope to be teaching them next year, as well.”

Whyte said the courses have become increasingly popular since the first course she taught in the fall.

“I had maybe 10 or 15 students in a class and now I’m booked out two months,” Whyte said.  “A lot of other instructors are experiencing the same.”

The program has gained attention nationwide, Whyte said.  

“It’s a grassroots organization that is gaining speed very fast,” Whyte said. “NPR was recently talking about the cause, especially after events like (Las Vegas and Kentucky) and how exponentially good (the program) is.”

Second-semester journalism major Lauren Varela said she is happy to see the program close to home at UConn.

“It is extremely important to understand when and how to act in a situation,” Varela said. “In the minutes after a crisis, you could save a life.”

Luke Hajdasz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.