UConn student cites a ‘dereliction of leadership’ in government on Face the State

Stephen Della-Giustina appeared on CBS affiliate WFSB’s “Face the State,” to discuss millennials’ hopes for the upcoming election cycle and said that there is a lack of strong leadership both on the state and federal level along with an imminent need for Connecticut to retain millennial talent in order to grow. (photo courtesy of Stephen Della-Giustina

University of Connecticut student and President of UConn College Democrats Steven Della-Giustina said Connecticut, and the nation as a whole, must elect strong leaders with political activism and support from millennials in a television interview about the 2018 election cycle.

Della-Giustina appeared on CBS affiliate WFSB’s “Face the State,” to discuss millennials’ hopes for the upcoming election cycle and said that there is a lack of strong leadership both on the state and federal level along with an imminent need for Connecticut to retain millennial talent in order to grow.

“What we need to focus on is this area now and how we can get young people to stay in the State of Connecticut and not move off to New York or Massachusetts, but to stay here and work to make our own state better,” Della-Giustina said.

Southern Connecticut State University student and member of the Connecticut College Republicans, Ty Seymour, also took part in the interview and said that he agreed with Della-Giustina on these millennial-related issues.

“One of the biggest things that we’re all worried about, Republicans and Democrats, is jobs especially for people our age,” Seymour said. “I think 40 percent of millennials still live with their parents, so that’s another issue that I think both Republicans and Democrats, and Millennials all together are worrying about.”

In response to a question about Connecticut Governor Dannel P. Malloy’s marred legacy as governor, Della-Giustina said that he, along with many UConn students, have a newfound respect for the governor’s work.

“I think everyone on campus really did appreciate the fact that Malloy did stick up and fight for us when the legislature wanted to cut all the money from UConn,” Della-Giustina said. “I think that will be his profound legacy at the University of Connecticut, that when people wanted to take away our opportunity for education, he actually fought for us.”

Seymour said that he believes Malloy’s terms as governor will be difficult to recover from as a state, signaling a need for strong leadership in the upcoming election cycle.

“In the past seven years we’ve seen the legislature and the governor go back and forth even with people within their own caucus,” Seymour said. “I think with the problems that we have, they’re so large that they’re going to take a lot of leadership to move past that and to start bringing in jobs and growth to our state.”

Della-Giustina said that he is confident in the diversity and leadership ability of the candidates who are seeking his party’s nomination for governor.

“I think that we have some great female candidates on the Democratic side, but I do think whether or not it’s a male or female you’re going to have a lot of female legislators who are standing up and saying, ‘I want to run!’” Della-Giustina said. “I really think that’s going to lift up the ticket too.”

Andrew Miano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.miano@uconn.edu.