Men’s Basketball: Huskies drubbed at Wichita State, take seventh 20-point loss

Jalen Adams maneuvers against USF at Gampel Pavilion (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus) 

Michigan State. Arkansas. Auburn. Memphis. Villanova. Temple.

And now Wichita State.

The UConn men’s basketball team (12-13, 5-7 The American) took their seventh 20-point loss of the season Saturday night. In the program’s 115-year history, the Huskies had never lost by six times that many. That changed two weeks ago in Philadelphia.

Now, the record has been extended to seven such losses after a 95-74 beatdown by the NCAA tournament-bound Shockers (19-5, 9-3 The American) in UConn’s first trip to Charles Koch Arena in Kansas.

Jalen Adams and Christian Vital each had 22 points for UConn in the loss. Vital pulled down six rebounds, while Adams added four assists (and three turnovers).

No other UConn player reached double digits in scoring.

Four different Wichita State players finished in double digits in scoring, led by Landry Shamet with 16. Rashard Kelly, who bullied UConn earlier this season in Hartford, pulled down 10 rebounds (five offensive). Connor Frankamp also added four 3-pointers.

The Huskies got the night’s first basket, a Vital 3-pointer off a David Onuorah offensive rebound, but the Shockers responded with a three of their own and never looked back.

Wichita State first went up by double digits 6:15 into the opening half, as a 3-pointer from Austin Reaves made the score 18-7 and forced a timeout by Kevin Ollie with The Roundhouse roaring.

But whatever adjustments the Huskies made were not enough to stop the Shockers from continuing to roll downhill. The two teams exchanged baskets for the next couple of minutes, even trimming the lead to 10 on another Vital 3-pointer before the under-8 timeout, but then Wichita State seized full control.

A 13-3 spurt from the Shockers, capped by another three from Reaves, brought the lead to 20 points and forced another UConn timeout with 4:24 left in the half.

Gregg Marshall’s squad brought a 22-point advantage into the break, and treaded water for much of the second half despite the Huskies having success (18-for-24) from the free throw line. A 7-0 push from UConn early in the half cut the lead to 18, but that was as close as they would get.

The Shockers led by as many as 26 points in a 95-74 win that secured a season sweep over UConn in their first season as a member of the American Athletic Conference.

UConn returns to action Thursday night in Hartford as they host Tulsa.

Tyler Keating is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at He tweets @tylerskeating.