SUBOG is currently accepting board apps

The University of Connecticut’s Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG) is currently accepting applications for its 2018-2019 Board positions.(Courtesy/University of Connecticut)

The University of Connecticut’s Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG) is currently accepting applications for its 2018-2019 Board positions.

SUBOG is looking for a new President, Vice President of Programming, Vice President of Membership Development, Vice President of Administration and Vice President of Finance. They are also going to hire programming and outreach chairpersons for the Comedy, Concerts, Film, Major Weekends, Outreach, Special Events and Sports Promotion committees, according to SUBOG’s website.

Applications are open until Feb. 23 at 5 p.m. To apply, students can complete an application on SUBOG’s website. There is one application for SUBOG president and another for all other positions.

Anyone can apply to be on the Board, regardless of whether or not they are currently a SUBOG member, SUBOG president Julia D’Alessandro said.

“Our application has always been open to the entire undergraduate body at UConn and we encourage all students, including those who are not currently serving on a committee, to apply,” D’Alessandro said.

The Selection Committee will review all submitted applications and will reach out to candidates they wish to interview, according to the website. Interviews for SUBOG president will be held the week of Feb. 26 and interviews for all other positions will be held the week of March 5. All students will know the status of their application before spring break, the announcement said.

D’Alessandro said she hopes students apply for SUBOG Board positions because they are “a great way to leave a positive impact on campus while strengthening your leadership skills.”

“It’s hard to say what, specifically, students will take away from their experience as a member of the SUBOG Board because everyone walks away with a unique experience,” D’Alessandro said. “However, (having) a position on the Board is very rewarding because you are responsible for planning memorable events and memorable experiences for your fellow Huskies.”

SUBOG board members are expected to schedule five weekly office hours in the SUBOG office, as well as additional time for committee meetings and board meetings, according to the website. They must also support full board events such as WOW, Homecoming, Winter Weekend and the Spring Concert.

“The six Committee Chairpersons work on programs from the ground up—from brainstorming ideas to negotiating contracts, from running the show to evaluating the program—with the help of volunteer committee members,” the application announcement says. “The two Chairpersons of the Outreach Committee ensure the interests of the undergraduate student body are heard and promote all SUBOG programs, events and the organization as a whole.”

The website says the benefits to being a SUBOG leader include interaction with fellow student leaders, faculty and staff; leadership training, direct and real leadership experiences and the opportunity to serve UConn’s campus community.

“You also meet a lot of people, make lifelong friends and have a great time,” the website says. “We look forward to your application and wish you the best of luck.”

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.