Marvel’s 'Black Panther' is sure to be one of the best films of the season

“Black Panther” is highly anticipated and has already received considerable critical success, rated a highly commendable 97 percent on online movie rating website Rotten Tomatoes. (Screenshot courtesy of movie trailer)

Disney’s Marvel Studios has been releasing hit after hit lately as they continue to expand their cinematic universe. The next film set to be released by Marvel is Ryan Coogler’s “Black Panther,” which will hit theaters this Friday. “Black Panther” is highly anticipated and has already received considerable critical success, rated a highly commendable 97 percent on online movie rating website Rotten Tomatoes.

“Black Panther” follows the story of T’Challa, king of Wakanda, a fictional African country. Audiences were first introduced to T’Challa back in 2016 when he made his Marvel debut in “Captain America: Civil War.”

Not too much is known about the plot, but it seems as if “Black Panther” will take place right after the events that transpired in “Captain America: Civil War.” In the film, T’Challa will arrive back to Wakanda only to have to fight for his rightful spot on the throne. Wakanda is an extremely technologically advanced African nation that isolates itself from the rest of the world. According to the comics, Wakanda had large deposits of vibranium, a fictional metal seen throughout the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Captain America’s shield and T’Challa’s Black Panther suit are made of the fictional metal, which is strong enough to block a strike from Thor’s hammer.

According to critics, the film is set to tackle important issues like colonialism and racial discrimination. Many of these critics commend Ryan Coogler’s work, saying that a film that tackles said subjects is long overdue in Hollywood. Critics also herald “Black Panther’s” special effects, which is something to look forward to when the movie is released.

T’Challa will be played by Chadwick Boseman, who portrayed the king turned protector perfectly in the “Captain America: Civil War.” Boseman’s acting was definitely one of the highlights of “Civil War,” making his return to the character something to look forward to. Chadwick Boseman will be joined by an all-star cast, including Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong’o and Danai Gurira.

If you are interested in seeing “Black Panther” this weekend but do not have a car, SUBOG has you covered. SUBOG Movies will be giving University of Connecticut students and their friends an opportunity to see the film this Thursday from 6pm to 9pm. The $4 ticket price will cover the cost of transportation and a movie ticket, making it well worth the cost. Students will see “Black Panther” at the Mansfield Movieplex, which is not too far at 95 Storrs Road in Mansfield.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Friday release of “Black Panther” is long overdue. Due to its talented actors, critical success and the way the film addresses pertinent issues, “Black Panther” is sure to be one of the best films of this season.

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.