Melissa’s Menu: Deep Fried Chocolate Cheesecake-Stuffed Strawberries

This week on Melissa's Menu are deep fried chocolate cheesecake-stuffed strawberries—just in time for Valentine's Day. (Screenshot courtesy of Tasty) 

If you are looking for the perfect Valentine’s Day treat look no further than these deep fried chocolate cheesecake-stuffed strawberries. They’re like regular chocolate covered strawberries on steroids. They combine cheesecake, chocolate and strawberries: three very delicious and very romantic foods that are perfect for Valentine’s Day. Whether you’re spending the day with friends, a significant other or even alone these strawberries are sure to be a hit.

Ingredients:

• 8 oz cream cheese, 1 package, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ cup powdered sugar, divided
  • 18 strawberries
  • 2 cups pancake mix
  • ¼ cup cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • Oil, for frying

Directions:

In a bowl, add the cream cheese, vanilla and half a cup of powdered sugar, and mix thoroughly. On a cutting board, cut the stems off of each strawberry. Using a one-fourth teaspoon, scoop out the center of each strawberry. Fill the center of the strawberries with the cream cheese filling. In a large bowl, combine the pancake mix, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, milk and eggs. Mix thoroughly. Heat oil in a medium-sized pot over medium heat until the temperature reaches about 365 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a fork, coat the stuffed strawberries in the batter. Fry about two strawberries at a time for about two minutes. Remove the strawberries from the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Dust with powdered sugar once cooled.

These strawberries are absolutely delicious and not as difficult to make as you would think. If you are looking for a unique twist on two classic desserts, this is the perfect treat. The recipe combines so many amazing flavors and creates a whole new special dessert. Don’t be afraid to branch out and try new desserts, sometimes they end up being the most yummy!

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.