Sadly, the new Snapchat update won’t disappear in eight seconds

Snapchat released its latest update last week to the dismay of many Snapchat users. Stories are now presented on the friend's screen. (Screenshot courtesy of  CNBC Twitter )

Snapchat released its latest update last week to the dismay of many Snapchat users. Stories are now presented on the friend's screen. (Screenshot courtesy of CNBC Twitter)

Snapchat rolled out a new update last week, redesigning the entire app and, according to most people, completely ruining it.

Prior to the update, Snapchat consisted of four main pages. Your camera was in the center with your conversations on the left and your stories on the right. If you swiped an extra time to the right, you’d see a page of the sponsored stories, like Buzzfeed or Cosmopolitan, in a block formation. It was simple and easy to navigate, but the company disagreed and redesigned the app for “ease.”

Now, stories and recent conversations are forced onto the same page. When one of your friends adds something to their story, it gets boosted to the top of your recent conversation page. And when a bunch of people start posting, it pushes all the people you actually talk to to the bottom of the list, making it a challenge to find them.

The old story page was combined with the block story page, and now the story of any famous person you had on Snapchat shows up there. All the sponsored stories and other celebrities’ stories that you don’t actually follow show up here as well. The page is a mess and there’s no organization to it. It’s almost like the app is self-aware of how bad it is, because Snapchat even added a search feature so you can locate a specific story or person you can’t otherwise find in the mess.

“It’s awful. It’s not in chronological order and the stories aren’t right,” Ryan Nguyen, a second-semester exercise science major, said.

The new update also makes it harder to see if you have any unread snapchats or if someone has opened yours. The icon for it is now smaller and hidden beneath the message.

The only good thing that seems to come with the update is the redesigned sending screen you go to after you’ve taken a photo. The new page makes it easier to see your top friends and who you’ve recently sent photos to, making sending snapchats a cleaner process.

Overall, the app’s redesign was unnecessary and made the app less user-friendly than it already was.

“They broke something that was working just fine for the sake of novelty,” Stuart Allen, a second-semester political science major, said.

What’s worse is that users didn’t have a choice as to whether or not the update was installed on their phones.

When the update first came out, a lot of people turned off auto-updates for their apps and took away Snapchat’s updating privileges in an attempt to block the update. Still, Snapchat forced the update upon all of us regardless of any precautions we took, and according to their Twitter, the update is here to stay.

There are a few workarounds—such as resetting your password—that are rumored to reset the app to its previous version, but Snapchat’s Twitter warns against these.

“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet,” Snapchat said in a tweet Saturday morning. “Unofficial workarounds to change the way Snapchat looks are temporary and can result in getting permanently locked out of your account or losing Memories.”

Snapchat is notorious for getting worse each time it’s updated, but this update seems to be the worst yet. The update trended on Twitter over the weekend with people threatening to go to Instagram stories—or even back to Myspace—instead.

The general consensus, it seems, is that the update has ruined the app entirely.

“I nearly cried the first time it updated. It makes me really angry,” Calista Giroux, a second-semester communications and journalism major, said.

“The new Snapchat update insults both my eyes and my fingertips,” second-semester computer science engineering major Eric Bueno, said.

Unfortunately for everyone, Snapchat’s update won’t disappear after a few seconds. For now, we’re stuck with the hope that the company will listen to its users and try to fix some of the problems of the new update.

Courtney Gavitt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at courtney.gavitt@uconn.edu.