UConn Hartford opens collaboration space

Overmyer-Velazquez said he hopes the space and the collaborations with local organizations will enhance the experience of students on the campus. (Photo courtesy of UConn website)

The University of Connecticut Hartford campus recently opened a new Travelers collaboration space in which various programs will be hosted.

Hartford Campus Director Mark Overmyer-Velazquez said the space is an “ad-hoc maker space” which will be used to host programs about topics such as business, data analytics and science. The space is located on the first floor of the Hartford Times Building, where UConn Hartford is located, and was paid for by the Travelers Company.

“(The space was) designed in a way to encourage people to sit and focus on problem solving,” Overmyer-Velazquez said. 

Adrian Sanchez, a fourth-semester English major, said the space has been a hang out and study space for students between classes.

“I don’t know if the place screams collaboration, but I think you can definitely get together here with people and collaborate,” Sanchez said. “I mean I’ve seen a lot of students come in here and work on projects together and school work together.”

Owen Mohler, a fourth-semester history major, said he uses the space on a regular basis.

“It’s a good quiet place to work,” Mohler said.

Mohler said he feels the space allows students to stay on campus more, instead of just coming to class and leaving.

“I think it’s a step in the right direction,” Mohler said.

The partnership on the collaboration space is one of many that UConn Hartford has with organizations in the vicinity of its downtown Hartford location. This includes the Hartford Public Library and the Wadsworth Atheneum, Overmyer-Velazquez said. He added that he thinks the Travelers space is a “nice symbol of our collaboration with the community.”

Overmyer-Velazquez said he hopes the space and the collaborations with local organizations will enhance the experience of students on the campus.

“It’s such a rich range of opportunities for our students,” Overmyer-Velazquez said.

Sarah Al-Arshani is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at sarah.al-arshani@uconn.edu.