Women’s Basketball: Associate head coach Chris Dailey elected to Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame

Connecticut Assoc. Head Coach Chris Dailey shouts instructions from the bench in the second half of an NCAA college basketball game against Louisville Monday, Feb. 12, 2018, in Storrs, Conn. It was announced Monday night that Dailey will be an inductee into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame. UConn won 69-58. (AP Photo/Stephen Dunn)

UConn women’s basketball associate head coach Chris Dailey has been elected to the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame as part of the 2018 class.

The class was announced on ESPN2 at halftime of Monday night’s game between UConn and Louisville at Gampel Pavilion. The induction ceremony is scheduled for June 9 in Knoxville, Tennessee.

“It’s never something I thought would happen,” Dailey said after the game. “It’s a great honor and something I will appreciate after the season.”

Dailey is currently in her 34th season coaching alongside Geno Auriemma in Storrs, where she has helped to build the program into a dominant national power. She has been on the sidelines for 11 national championships, 18 Final Four appearances and six undefeated seasons. Off the court, she serves as the program’s recruiting coordinator.

She arrived in 1985 with Auriemma and spent her first three years as primary assistant coach before being promoted to associate head coach.

Dailey and fellow inductee Mickie DeMoss are the first assistant coaches to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

“I think it’s a reflection on being able to acknowledge the contributions of everyone,” Dailey said of that honor. “It’s an honor to be the first, and to go in with DeMoss is fitting. We battled each other for a long time and we’re good friends.”

Joining them in the 2018 class are Katie Smith, Tina Thompson, Chamique Holdsclaw, Ceal Barry and Rose Marie Battaglia.

Dailey will also join Auriemma, Rebecca Lobo, Jen Rizzotti and Kara Wolters as UConn affiliates in the Hall of Fame.

Tyler Keating is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.