Cute date spots around Storrs for you and your Valentine

There are still plenty of options nearby that will make your Valentine’s Day very special.(Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

Any UConn student knows Storrs isn’t exactly the most booming metropolitan area. Besides the restaurants in Storrs Center, there isn’t much else going on. If you are looking to plan a cute date with your significant other, this could seem like a challenge, but don’t worry. There are still plenty of options nearby that will make your Valentine’s Day very special. Keep reading to find the perfect option for you and your special someone, both on and off campus.

On campus

Go out to eat in Storrs Center

As mentioned earlier, there are many delicious restaurants in Storrs Center that are great date spots. Restaurants such as Oriental Cafe and Geno’s Grille both offer sit-down dining and can be romantic spots. If you’re looking for something sweet you could go to Farmhouse Crepes or get a heart-shaped cookie at Insomnia.

Dairy Bar

It’s never too cold for ice cream, and sharing a milkshake or sundae can be a romantic and simple date idea, especially if you are pressed for time. The Dairy Bar also offers heart-shaped ice cream cakes that can be ordered in advance.

Art in Small Bites at The Benton

The Benton has started a weekly lecture program in which they display various pieces of art and discuss its history and background, and today’s topic is Impressionism and Social Realism. If you and your Valentine want to go to the museum or look at art, this is the perfect thing to do.

Ice skating

The Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum on campus offers public skating for $7 at various times throughout the week. Unfortunately, there isn’t a general skating session on Valentine’s Day but there are a few on Friday night if you plan to wait until the weekend to celebrate.

Stay in

This one may seem boring, but staying in for a romantic night with your significant other can actually be really special. You can order food, watch a movie, do homework together (it is a Wednesday, after all) or do whatever you please. If you don’t feel like going out or would rather wait for the weekend, there’s nothing wrong with a quiet night in.

If you and your Valentine are the outdoorsy type and don’t mind the cold, there are several beautiful hiking spots close to campus. Mansfield Hollow State Park is about 15 minutes away from campus and has several trails and a lake. There’s also Diana’s Pool, also about 15 minutes away, which has a waterfall.

There are many restaurants within a 20-minute drive of campus that can provide a nice romantic date setting if you don't want to eat anywhere in Storrs Center. Willimantic Brewing Company and Cafemantic in Willimantic and Francesca’s Italian Bistro in Coventry are all pretty close and can present a nice date atmosphere.

Drive into Hartford or West Hartford

If you have a lot of time on your hands and don’t mind driving farther away, there’s a lot to do in Hartford and the surrounding neighborhoods. There’s food, shops and entertainment. For example, you can hit up Bridgewater Chocolates in West Hartford, which has an assortment of Valentine’s chocolates that you and your sweetheart can enjoy.

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at