February 15: How to get your girlfriend to forgive you

Flowers are always a good idea for Valentine's Day. And they're a good idea to make up for Valentine's Day. (C.B. Schmelter/Chattanooga Times Free Press via AP)

So you messed up. You forgot about the big day. You didn’t think you needed to give her anything or do something special. Hey, maybe you even called out the wrong name. Whatever it was that you did to royally screw up her Valentine’s Day, don’t worry, it can still be saved. She may be mad now, but just follow one of these suggestions and maybe, just maybe she’ll delete her new Tinder account by the end of the night.

Valentine’s Day may be over, but your relationship isn’t. Try appealing to her romantic side. If she’s mad at you and you don’t even know why, you probably didn’t fulfill her idea of how the day should’ve gone. She might have daydreamed about it, even if she isn’t the type who usually seems to care about all of that lovey dovey stuff. Maybe you’re long distance, and she fantasized about you driving up to sweep her off her feet, or even just to be with her. Maybe she had a vision of you in a suit and tie, weilding a dozen roses and a heart-shaped box of chocolates like some sort of knight in shining armor. Maybe she just wanted you to tell her how much you love her. Or maybe, for some reason, she wanted you to call out her name in bed, instead of that floozy you used to date. Whatever dream you didn’t manage to satisfy on the 14th, you can try to go above and beyond on the 15th.

Go for the epicly cheesy look. Raid CVS and Price Chopper for all of those post-Valentine’s Day sales. Get it all, or at least as much as you think it will take to get her to forgive you, and then double it. Take her out somewhere nice for dinner, or to that movie she’s been wanting to see. Be nice and say all of those silly sweet nothings that you and her have always made fun of couples in movies for saying. Write a love letter so sickeningly cute that she won’t be able to stay mad. Draw a picture of her, even if you’re an awful artist. At least you’ll be trying. If you called out the wrong name, potentially burn a picture or effigy of your ex with your girlfriend in a sort of symbolic way of saying she means nothing to you.

Give her all of your attention, remember that you’re lucky that she even loved you in the first place.

If all else fails, find out which window is connected to her dorm or apartment in her building. Pray it’s open and lift a boombox blasting whatever your song is, in a “Say Anything”-esque style. As long as you don’t fall flat like Chad Michael Murray in his rendition of Britney Spears’ “Baby One More Time” in the movie “Freaky Friday,” then she should at the very least laugh and talk to you again.

Then again, if you could somehow become Chad Michael Murray from “Freaky Friday,” then I think she’d have no choice but to forgive you immediately before some groupie beats her to it.

Better yet, maybe don’t ruin her Valentine’s Day in the first place.

Rebecca Maher is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.maher@uconn.edu.