FYE mentor applications due today

Applications to be a FYE mentor are due on February 14, 2018. The FYE office is located in Rowe 235. (DCPHOTO/The Daily Campus)

Applications to serve as a University of Connecticut First Year Experience (FYE) class mentor are due at 5 p.m. today.

Students can apply to be an FYE mentor online. Interviews will take place from Feb. 26 to March 23 and students will be notified of their acceptance in April. Summer training will take place Wednesday Aug. 22 through Thursday Aug. 23.

An FYE mentor’s responsibilities include attending an assigned weekly UNIV class, meeting once a week with an instructor to plan and coordinate class topics and activities, listening to students, meeting with them one-on-one and leading them through in-class activities, according to the FYE website.

“Mentors play a key role in assisting first-year students with the transition to UConn,” the website says. “As FYE mentors, students gain leadership, teaching, communication, peer counseling, planning and presentation skills. Mentors work cooperatively with instructors to serve as role models for first-year students.”

Potential FYE mentors should care about the needs of new students, actively seek to aid them in their transition to UConn and be proactive in helping direct students to campus opportunities and resources, according to the website.

“Above all, (FYE mentors) should serve as a ‘peer’ resource that the students feel comfortable approaching at any time with questions or concerns,” the website says.

FYE mentors are required to take a three-credit class, ESPY 3020, according to the website. In addition to academic credits, mentors will gain leadership, teaching, communication, peer counseling, planning and presentation skills, the website says.

To be an FYE mentor, students are required to have a GPA of at least 2.5, attend the mandatory August training and be able to communicate effectively with first-year students, the website says.

Monica Antony, fourth-semester physiology and neurobiology major and former FYE mentor, said she loved the experience.

“I wanted to be an FYE mentor because I remember what it was like to be a freshman at UConn and not know anything, like where things were on campus or how to sign up for classes,” Antony said. “I definitely improved my public speaking and interpersonal skills, as well as my ability to think on the spot.”

Antony said she recommends the program to UConn students.

“I got to make connections with the freshman class, which was nice because I was one more face they recognized on campus,” Antony said. “You meet a lot of new people through the program- not just your mentees but also your fellow mentors. I would recommend applying to be an FYE mentor to anyone who wants to go out of their comfort zone.”

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.