Life Sucks: Dealing with a breakup through music

I really like sad emo music. Which is bad for most of the year, except on Valentine’s Day. On Valentine’s Day, I shine. Whether you’re sadly single, recently broken up or just depressed about whatever is going on with your significant other, this playlist will at least match your mood.

1. I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab For Cutie: We aren’t going to spend a lot of time in the sad, acoustic area but it wouldn’t be a break-up playlist if we didn’t. This is arguably one of the most famous emo songs of our generation and while it technically isn’t a break-up song, it is sad. Like, very sad. Which is probably the mood that you’re in if you’re reading this.
  2. All of Me by John Legend: This song, like the first one, isn’t technically about a breakup but the tone of the song fits in very well with the playlist idea. Breakups are hard because you gave all of yourself to your significant other, which this song embodies. Can’t you just imagine sitting in an empty room with this playing on the one lonely speaker? And where are you? You’re in the corner, with a pint of ice cream and tears falling down your cheeks ☹
  3. Since U Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson: You know the five steps of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. We are going to classify this one in both anger and acceptance. Acceptance because the song is about finally moving on. Anger because, in the music video, Clarkson reached acceptance by trashing her ex’s apartment. Sometimes anger is helpful. Sometimes listening to and watching someone be angry is more helpful (and less likely to start a riot).
  4. Irreplaceable by Beyoncé: You think we would ever make a playlist without mentioning Queen B? Breakups are sometimes good because they allow us to remove any kind of negativity from our lives. As Beyoncé reminds us, there a million fish in the sea. So dump all your ex’s stuff in a box to the left and move on. They are replaceable.
  5. Cry Me a River by Justin Timberlake: You know that ex that plays with your feelings and then when you get fed up, begs you to let things go back to normal? This song is for them. In fact, if you feel that it will help, I recommend DMing it to them multiple times just so they get the message.
  6. Melrose Diner by The Wonder Years: Sometimes you just need to rant about your relationship. Why not let a pop-punk band from Pennsylvania help you with that?
  7. Jude Law and a Semester Abroad by Brand New: This is basically the pop-punk, angsty version of JT’s song above. It’ll also probably make you happier, too. Just a little bit.
  8. Miserable at Best by Mayday Parade: After that happy tune, the time has come to go full tilt into emo music. Sometimes during a breakup, you’re the one in the wrong. With this one, you’ll be forced to relive whatever you did wrong as your ex is moving on. Maybe you’ll get to relive some of your middle school days again.  
  9. How to Save a Life by The Fray: This song is honestly just really sad, but it has some redeeming and upbeat parts to it. Which is where you are post-breakup. Right now, you’re really sad, but eventually you’ll get through it and things will start to get it better. This playlist is an emotional rollercoaster, but if you can make it through this then you can make it through anything. So pull your head up and go to CVS tomorrow to gorge on some discount chocolate.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and weekly columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email He tweets at @amar_batra19.