Rom-coms to fill the void

For those hopeless romantics out there celebrating singledom this Valentine’s Day, there is an entire genre of movies made for you: rom-coms. Rom-coms combine the cuteness and love of a romantic movie with the humor and lightheartedness of a comedy. The love interests are unlike real people. They are sweet and perfect, and go miles out of their way to prove it. They are everything you want in a relationship, without the frustration and effort of a real one. Now, the perfect rom-com for you depends on where you’re at right now in your love life.

If you’ve never found love, and plan to sit out this Valentine’s Day in a resigned state of hopelessness, then “Bridget Jones’s Diary” is the movie for you. Bridget Jones (Renée Zellwegger) embodies every self-conscious single person ever to exist. At the beginning of the film, she sets out a New Year's’ resolution for herself to drink less, smoke less, lose weight and find a man who will actually be good for her for once. Instead, she makes a fool of herself time and time again, dates her sexist cheating boss (Hugh Grant) and finds an enemy in Mark Darcy (Colin Firth). It turns out though, that the very person she thought she hated the most is one of the few people in her life that loves her exactly as she is. This movie makes you feel as if the perfect person for you is out there, no matter how silly, clumsy or awkward you manage to be around them.

If you’re suffocating under the weight of a celebrity crush, or even just a crush on someone you can’t imagine ever loving you back, then “Notting Hill” will speak to you. This movie, centers around William Thacker (Hugh Grant), just a normal guy working at a travel bookshop, until movie star Anna Scott (Julia Roberts) walks through the door. They manage to have an adorable relationship despite the interference of her celebrity status, all of which culminates in the famous line, “I’m also just a girl standing in front of a boy asking him to love her.” Maybe it’s not realistic, but it is more than “aww”-worthy enough to watch.

For anyone afflicted with the curse of the long-term crush, you should watch “27 Dresses.” This movie is about a girl named Jane (Katherine Heigl) who has spent years of her life sticking with a company solely for the close proximity to her boss (Edward Burns). Her obsession with weddings and helping people plan them becomes painful when her younger sister (Malin Akerman) snatches and gets engaged to the very boss Jane has been pining over. All the while, she tries to get a persistent reporter (James Marsden) off her back as he realizes that she has already been a bridesmaid in 27 weddings. It is a film of escaping the clutches of an incessant crush, and moving on to someone who actually deserves your attention. And if that doesn’t make you want to watch this movie, Heigl and Marsden’s drunken rendition of Elton John’s “Bennie and the Jets” will.

The truth is, there are dozens of fantastic rom-coms out there that are better than any Valentine’s Day date. Ever hear of dinner and a movie? Well, it doesn’t say anywhere that you need another person to do either of those activities. Try living off chocolate and watching literally any movie made in the 90s or early 2000s starring Hugh Grant. You’ll find that real dates are overrated.

Rebecca Maher is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at