Valentine’s Day drinks for all relationship statuses

(The Daily Campus Graphics Department)

There is no one way to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Even if you don’t have a significant other, you can still have a wonderful Valentine’s Day without the pressure of a relationship. If you do find yourself in a relationship this Valentine’s Day, matching cocktails will ensure that you keep the day romantic from start to finish. Whether you are single, in a relationship or not quite sure where you stand, here are three options to ensure that you have a boozy Valentine’s Day regardless of your relationship status.  

Single:

A glass of red wine

Being single on Valentine’s Day gets a bad rep. There are no unreasonable expectations for the holiday, you can go out with friends or decide to stay in and practice some self-love. For all of our single readers out there, we recommend a glass of red wine for you this Valentine’s Day. There is honestly nothing better than a large glass of wine after a long day of dodging public displays of affection. Skip the fancy dinner and overly expensive presents and instead cuddle up on the couch with a glass of wine and your roommates, friends, pets or even just yourself. Just because you won’t be in a relationship this Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean that you can’t still have a wonderful night.

In a relationship:

Pink Lemonade Margarita

Ingredients: six ounces of champagne, three ounces of pink lemonade, one ounce of tequila, splash of triple sec, sugar and lemon for garnish

Rim the glass with the lemon wedge and dip the rim in the sugar. Pour in the champagne, pink lemonade, tequila and triple sec. Place the lemon wedge used earlier in the recipe on the sugar coated rim as a garnish.  

Champagne is an inherently romantic drink, and adding the pink lemonade gives our drink a pleasant pink color that practically screams romance. Plus the tequila adds a boozy touch to our Pink Lemonade Margarita, which is sure to spice up your Valentine’s Day. Our drink tastes like a margarita meets mimosa, making it a perfect companion for lunch or dinner. Double up the recipe to make enough for you and your special someone. For an added bonus, making our Pink Lemonade Margarita with your significant other can be a fun and cheap Valentine’s Day activity.

It’s complicated:

A shot of fancy bourbon

Whether you don’t know where you stand with someone, love someone you’ve never actually talked to or any variation that has you loathing Valentine’s Day, this is the drink for you. Go to the liquor store and buy an expensive bottle of bourbon with the money that you would have spent on a date with the object of your affections. Take the shot and try not to think about “that person.” It’s never fun to not know where you stand, so we feel you, buddy.