Women’s Lacrosse: Huskies look to bounce back against Fairfield

The Huskies are starting their home schedule with Fairfield Wednesday afternoon. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

After a tough loss to Syracuse on Friday, the UConn women’s lacrosse team looks to bounce back Wednesday afternoon in a battle with the Fairfield Stags at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex in their home opener.

UConn (0-1) enters Wednesday’s matchup looking for revenge and better overall team play after losing 23-11 to Syracuse in its season opener.

Senior attacker Grace Nolan led the Huskies in points in the opener on Friday. Nolan recorded four goals and two assists for six points in the game against the Orange.

One area in which the Huskies could improve is their passing. The team had 11 goals on Friday but only five assists. In comparison, Syracuse had 14 assists, which allowed them to have easier scoring opportunities. That is something UConn will definitely be looking for in its next game.

Fairfield (1-0) is coming off a season-opening 14-5 win over Holy Cross Saturday. The Stags were led by attacker Kathleen Hulseman, who scored three goals and added three assists for six points in the game.

Fairfield is an experienced team that has eight seniors and made it to the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference championship last season after going 12-6 overall and 7-1 in conference play.

This year’s matchup between the two teams comes almost exactly a year after last season’s game, the only time the teams met last season. Last season’s game was the Huskies’ season opener, a game which they won 16-12.

UConn will get the opportunity to earn its first win of the 2018 season and defeat the Stags for the second-straight year when they face off at 3 p.m. Wednesday.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zac.lane@uconn.edu.