Lacrosse: Huskies head to James Madison

The Huskies’ game against JMU is at 1 p.m. on Sunday. UConn will next play at home on Friday Feb. 23. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

After pulling out a tough win on Valentine’s Day, the UConn women’s lacrosse team (1-1) will head to the US Lacrosse headquarters to face off against James Madison University.

The Dukes are coming off a stellar past week in which they beat No. 3 North Carolina 15-14 in overtime. So far this season the team is 2-0.

Last time UConn faced off against JMU in 2017, they lost 12-13.

However, a new weapon the Huskies can use to their advantage is the addition of freshman midfielder Sydney Watson. Already this season, Watson was awarded with the Big East freshman of the week title.

There are three players to watch on JMU’s squad. This past week, all three were named Colonial Athletic Association Women's Lacrosse players of the week for their performances against North Carolina. The first player is senior Kristen Gaudian. In the game against North Carolina, Gaudian recorded five goals and four draw controls tying her career highs in both categories. She scored the game-winning goal in overtime to beat North Carolina.

The second player to watch is senior Rebecca Tooker. Tooker posted five ground balls and caused four turnovers during the game.

The final player to watch for JMU is freshman goalkeeper Molly Dougherty. The game against North Carolina was Dougherty’s collegiate debut. She came off the bench and recorded eight saves and only allowed four goals in the last 24:14.

JMU is coached by Shelley Klaus-Bawcombe. Klaus-Bawcombe is in her twelfth season with the squad and is the winningest coach in JMU lacrosse history.

After UConn’s most recent game against Fairfield, head coach Katie Woods described what her team could get better at.

“We need to kind of focus on what we can control and keep it high energy all the time and [be] a little bit better connected,” Woods said.

The Huskies’ game against JMU is at 1 p.m. on Sunday. UConn will next play at home on Friday Feb. 23.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.