President Trump and the GOP are the opposite of fascist

President Donald Trump delivers a statement on the mass shooting at a South Florida High School from the White House, Thursday, Feb. 15, 2018, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Ever since the election of President Trump, his adversaries have claimed that he and his supporters are fascist. This could not be further from the truth, and it’s about time someone pushes back against these outrageous claims. Although there is not a single, concrete definition, according to, fascism is “a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc. and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.”   

Let’s start with the claim that President Trump is a dictator. In his first year in office, he demonstrated that that is not the case many times. One clear example is his handling of DACA. Regardless of what you think should happen, President Trump let Congress, the representatives of the people, to handle the issue. Any time the legislative body of our government handles such issues, it is a great day for democracy.

Does President Trump push back against the mainstream media? Absolutely, as he should. The fake news, incredibly biased, out of control media is a legitimate crisis in our country. And yes, President Trump pushes back against them and calls them out. But that certainly doesn’t mean he forcibly suppresses or oppresses dissenting voices. According to the Pew Research Center, only five-percent of media coverage during his first year as President was positive. Interestingly enough, no journalist or critic has been thrown into prison or harmed in any way. The way the fake news machine reports skewed views, buries positive stories about conservatives and praises King Jong Un’s sister harms our country far more than any tweet President Trump has ever written.

Another clear example that runs in direct contrast of a fascist dictator is the tax cut championed by President Trump and the GOP. Can anyone give one example in which a dictator fights for legislation to keep money in the pockets of their people? Making people pay less taxes empowers them, an idea in direct contrast with the goals of a dictator.

The claim that President Trump is pushing a racist agenda is totally unfounded. It is incredibly disingenuous to attack someone with such a vile claim when there is no proof of the accusation.

Donald Trump has been an extremely famous figure in this country for 30-plus years and has never been accused of racism before. He had close friends of all races, on both sides of the aisle. Calling the President of the United States a racist makes the word far less powerful and allows the real racists, who are the vile scum of society, a pass.

If you dislike President Trump, you absolutely have a right to hold that opinion. You can post about it on Facebook, scream it from the highest hills, tell all of your friends. But when people start accusing the President of the United States of being fascist, it borderlines on hysteria. Claiming that President Trump and the GOP are fascist is at best ignorant and at worst a flat-out lie. The Republican Party is the party of small government and personal freedom. The very idea of fascism runs in direct conflict with the values of conservatism. I think the most ironic part of these outlandish claims is that the people perpetuating them are the same people that align closest with the idea of a big, powerful government. The United States crushed the horrific fascist states of Mussolini’s Italy and Hitler's Germany in WWII. It is unbelievable to me that the day would come when people would equate the most glorious nation to ever exist to such horrible failures of a terrible ideology. The very existence of America is the greatest Anti-Fascist symbol there is.

Alexander Grzelak is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at