Two UConn Health employees on leave after York prison inmate gives birth in cell

Two University of Connecticut Health employees have been placed on leave after an inmate gave birth in her prison cell at York Correctional Facility in Niantic early Tuesday morning.

UConn Health has been contracted by the Connecticut Department of Correction (DOC) since 1997 to manage all healthcare needs of inmates within the DOC, according to UConn Health’s website.

“The circumstances that led up to a baby being born inside a cell are still under investigation,” a press release from the DOC said. “However, preliminary findings have led to two UConn Health, Correctional Managed Health Care employees being told not to report to the facility for work until the investigation is completed.”

A statement was also released by UConn Health, echoing the message from the DOC.

“UConn Health shares the position of the Department of Correction; patient safety in all settings is our top priority,” the statement said. “Our thoughts today are with the mother and her child, we are glad they are doing well.”

Once the birth had been discovered, the mother and child were given onsite care and brought to a nearby hospital for further evaluation, the DOC press release said.  Both are said to currently be in good health. 

The inmate’s identity will not be released due to health privacy laws, WFSB reported. The two UConn Health employees have not been identified either, the DOC press release said.

“Their employment status is predicted by the administration of UConn Health, Correctional Managed Care,” the press release said.

Earlier this month, UConn Health announced that effective in July, it will no longer service the DOC, according to the Hartford Courant.

Following an examination of 25 cases involving medical care within the DOC by UConn Health, the two departments decided to part ways, according to the Courant. There are currently eight wrongful death lawsuits pending against the DOC. 

“Transition of provision of inmate medical services back to the DOC from UConn Health is something we support and will work collaboratively to accomplish without negative impact to the patients or the employees who provide their care,” the statement said.

Luke Hajdasz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.