Connecticut parents granted stay from deportation

Two Connecticut parents, Zhe Long Huang and Xiang Jin Li, also known as Tony and Kris, were recently granted a stay from an ICE deportation order for Feb. 16.  (photo via Forward CT Facebook page)

Two Connecticut parents, Zhe Long Huang and Xiang Jin Li, also known as Tony and Kris, were recently granted a stay from an ICE deportation order for Feb. 16.

Tony and Kris have been working in the United States for almost 20 years and their immigrant status has not been an issue until recently, Laurie Kane, a realtor in Simsbury, helped organize events in support of the family, said in an email. They run a business called Deco Nails in Avon and have two children, ages five and 15.

A candlelight vigil was held for them on Feb. 15, the night before their scheduled deportation, according to Forward CT’s Facebook page. 35 people attended while 111 demonstrated interest in attending, according to the page.

Kane said the family was granted a stay in the end during the vigil.

According to Forward CT’s Facebook page, a rally was held for Tony and Kris on Feb. 3. Almost 100 people went to support the family while nearly 350 demonstrated interest in attending the event, according to the page.

“My mom is on a green card, like them,” Winsland Lee, Asiantation Mentoring Program (AMP) Coordinator for UConn’s Asian American Cultural Center, said. “She knows what their experience is like and how they gave everything up to come here.”  

Lee said it is not uncommon for Asian immigrants to get involved in the nail and manicure business and that his mother pursued the same career.

“If my parents were in their situation, I would do as much as I can to rally support and help out my family,” Lee said.

Connor Lenz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.lenz@uconn.edu.