Solve health or medical-based problems in entrepreneurship course

University of Connecticut students can develop their entrepreneurship skills within the medical device and biopharmaceutical field through the Biomedical Entrepreneurship course. (screengrab/The University of Connecticut)

University of Connecticut students can develop their entrepreneurship skills within the medical device and biopharmaceutical field through the Biomedical Entrepreneurship course.

“Interdisciplinary teams will tackle real clinical needs to offer technical solutions and business models that might enable future commercialization,” a Daily Digest post said.

The course is open to graduate and undergraduate students and the application process can be found online.  The course is a collaboration between the Schools of Engineering, Business, Medicine, Pharmacy and Liberal Arts and Sciences, according to the post.

The course has been offered during the fall semester for the past four years, program manager for the Connecticut Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation, School of Business, Jennifer Murphy said in an email.

Students can benefit from experience with startups or established firms, according to the post. Participating in the program also creates collaborative skills that will translate to the real world, the post said.

Murphy said students who have developed solutions to a health or medical-based problem have brought their business ideas to Accelerate UConn, Summer Fellowship and Innovation Quest, under Dr. Analoui, an instructor in the course and executive director for Venture Development. Analoui has provided an extensive network for his students, Murphy added.

“He teaches the class through the lens of his experiences,” Murphy said. “But [he] also has an impressive list of guest speakers from many industries including; venture capital, technology commercialization, medical education, biomedical entrepreneurs, CEOs of Biotech startups and leaders in pharmaceutical companies.”

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.