Beer predicts Philadelphia Eagles will win Super Bowl LII

Our idea was simple, I would blindly taste four beers (two from Pennsylvania, two from Massachusetts) and rate them either zero, three or seven. At the end, we would combine the scores of the beer from each state, and the state with the higher score will be our pick to win Super Bowl LII. (Courtesy/Wikipedia)

We here at Thirsty Thursday are so hyped for the Super Bowl this Sunday that we decided our traditional Drink of the Week just wasn’t going to cut it. Our video guy came up with the idea of sampling different beers, as many of our esteemed college classmates will be having their fill of the drink this week. The only problem is that I, one of the writers for Thirsty Thursday, absolutely abhor beer (and he knows it). In my opinion, most beer tastes the same, and the taste that it does have is not pleasant. It’s hard to write a descriptive piece on beer when my only reaction to taking a sip is “this tastes like beer,” but our brilliantly sadistic video guy found a way to incorporate beer that was just too perfect to pass up. Drunk on power, we had a burning question that needed to be answered: could we predict the Super Bowl with beer?

Our idea was simple, I would blindly taste four beers (two from Pennsylvania, two from Massachusetts) and rate them either zero, three or seven. At the end, we would combine the scores of the beer from each state, and the state with the higher score will be our pick to win Super Bowl LII.

For Massachusetts, our video guy selected a Newburyport’s Plum Island Belgian White, a Belgian inspired beer brewed in Newburyport. The Plum Island Belgian White faced off against Victory Brewery Company’s Golden Monkey, which is brewed just under an hour from Philadelphia in Downingtown, Pennsylvania. Both beers were citrusy, pale and Belgian style, making them the perfect pair to go head to head for the title of Super Bowl champs. Like I mentioned earlier, I really don’t like beer. I also realized during this blind taste test that I really don’t like Belgian style beer in particular. I rated both beers with a zero, meaning neither of them brought any points back to their state.

Because of my lack-luster experience with the two Belgian style beers, the whole game rested on the two lagers chosen for this taste test. We went with the classics, Samuel Adams’ Boston Lager and Yuengling’s Traditional Lager. Both of these breweries are extremely well known, so our video guy thought they would serve as great representatives for their respective states.  With the entire fate of the Super Bowl resting on my shoulders, I felt honored to assume the great responsibility of deciding which team would be victorious. The only problem was, like I have mentioned many, many times, I don’t like beer. I honestly could not tell the difference between the two beers as I think most beer tastes the same, so I gave them both a three.

Thrust into overtime, a tie breaker became necessary for picking the winning team. I was given both beers, side by side, and was told to compare them directly instead of rating them on our sports inspired scale. At the end of the day, I still couldn’t tell the difference. I named beer two the winner, solely due to the fact that the after taste was slightly more pleasant. Beer two was none other than Yuengling’s Traditional Lager.

It is through our extensive tests that we have that we have arrived at the conclusion that the Philadelphia Eagles will take home the Lombardi Trophy this Sunday.