Don’t Call It A Comeback Tour: All good things come to an end

So we are in the last semester of my victory lap. And up until this point, it’s been a fairly weird fifth year. For starters I came back for that fifth year in the first place, which wasn’t the plan. And then I changed my major over winter break, which also wasn’t the plan.

But you know, change is good. For the first time in a long time, I’m actually enjoying my major. I’m learning about how people communicate and persuade others. I’m learning about how certain images can elicit certain emotions, which is absolutely vital for the field I want to go into: photojournalism, if you haven’t been paying attention. So yeah, life is good. I’ve also enjoyed sharing that with all of you. But you know what they say: all good things must come to an end. I’ll get to that a little later.

Today I want to talk with you about something different. How much do you know about Hinduism? Wait don’t answer that, I actually don’t want to know. What I actually want to talk about is a well-known part of Hinduism: reincarnation. That’s not to be confused with resurrection, which is what happens in 90 percent of those crazy horror movies and something inevitably goes wrong for the heroes who didn’t mean to resurrect their friend into a crazy zombie.

While reincarnation does deal with death, it’s actually more focused on what comes afterwards. Specifically, you. You are what comes afterwards. According to Hinduism, when you get reincarnated, you come as either a person or another living creature and you have another chance at life. You don’t remember anything and you start with a clean state. There’s other details in there about eventually achieving full inner-peace, but this is the main gist.

I personally like to look at it like Fawkes the Phoenix from Harry Potter. He ends things in a blaze of fire and then comes back in the ashes ready to start anew. I’m sure you can see where this is going.

When I started “Don’t Call It A Comeback Tour,” it was supposed to be a fun column talking about finishing up my degree during a fifth year. That was the whole point of the name; this wasn’t going to be something new. It was the same old me, pursuing a math-stats degree and getting through things. But things have now changed. I’m not the math-stats major anymore. I’m Amar Batra, the communications major, which means that it might be time for a reincarnation.

This is the last “Don’t Call It A Comeback Tour” but it isn’t the last column by me. Not by a long shot. I’ve never really spent a lot of time talking about being a photographer and more specifically about being a photojournalist. I’ve talked about my influences, and even wrote a sports column last year about covering the men’s basketball team. I want to start a column that talks about all of that. They’ll still be columns similar to what I wrote about last semester ,but the focus will be about life behind the lens. In fact, I might call it just that: “Behind the Lens.” That has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?

I’ll be here same time next week, just under a different banner. All the contact information is still the same, so if you hate the idea, feel free to direct that hate over here. In the meantime, I’ll see you all behind the lens next week.

Cheers.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and weekly columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.