Men’s Hockey: Huskies to face off against Boston College and Brown

On Saturday, UConn will face non-conference opponent Brown. The Bears are 6-12-4 overall. Their last weekend out saw a loss to St. Lawrence before tying Clarkson in OT. (Ryan Murace/The Daily Campus)

Coming off their weekend sweep against University of New Hampshire, UConn men’s hockey will face off against Hockey East opponent No. 16/15 Boston College on Friday night at the XL Center. On Saturday, they move on to Rhode Island where they’ll face Brown to close out the weekend.

The Huskies (11-16-2, 8-11-1) have dropped both games they’ve faced against BC in this season. The first game was a 2-1 loss, while the second was a shutout. The sophomore goalie Ryan Edquist was credited with the win in both matches, ultimately earning his first college shutout.

In their first game against the Eagles, UConn scored a power play goal but ultimately lost after BC matched their effort with a shorthanded goal followed by a game-winning power play goal. In their second game this season, UConn managed to get off 23 shots that were all saved by Edquist.

The Eagles (13-10-3, 13-5-0 HEA) are currently leading the league with 26 points. Their points leader is David Cotton, a sophomore who currently owns 19 points (7g/12a). Graham McPhee is the top scorer for BC with 11 so far this season. BC’s other goalie, Joseph Woll, has a .903 save percentage.

Matchups against BC are particularly exciting for this team because Husky head coach Mike Cavanaugh worked as an assistant coach at BC for 18 years, guiding them toward four national titles.

On Saturday, UConn will face non-conference opponent Brown. The Bears are 6-12-4 overall. Their last weekend out saw a loss to St. Lawrence before tying Clarkson in OT.

Tommy Marchin is their leading scorer with seven goals on the season. Leading the team in points is Brent Beaudoin who has been credited with four goals and 11 assists on the season.

Almost splitting their time in net this season is freshman Luke Kania and sophomore Gavin Nieto. Kania has a .919 save percentage and 2.46 GAA while Nieto has a .902 save percentage and 3.21 GAA.

On the other side of the ice, UConn is expecting to send goalie Tanner Creel in for both games this weekend while Adam Huska recovers from his wrist injury. Creel has gone 3-1 since taking over the starting role and has garnered a .931 save percentage.

Freshman Adam Karashik, fresh off a six-game stint on the bench due to injury, is coming off an impressive weekend against UNH, having scored two goals, including Saturday’s game-winner. He was named the Hockey East Rookie of the Week for his efforts.

Special teams have been thriving for the Huskies; they scored a power play goal on Saturday and killed off seven of UNH’s.

Rachel Schaefer is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.