Scholarship opportunity regards real estate investment trends

The Adrian Rubin Scholarship is intended for “students of the future,” according to the scholarship website. (Screenshot/Adrian Rubin Scholarship)

University of Connecticut students have the opportunity to apply for a $1000 scholarship toward their education, according to Marie Lowe, program administrator for the Adrian Rubin Scholarship.

Applicants for the Adrian Rubin Scholarship must write a 500 word essay that answers the question “How do you think real estate investment trends will change over the next five years?”

Fourth-semester computer science major Syed Asar said he saw the essay’s topic as a deterrent to applying for the scholarship.

“For me, personally, I wouldn't apply for it because of the question,” Asar said. “Real estate investment trends are out of my expertise.”

The Adrian Rubin Scholarship is intended for “students of the future,” according to the scholarship website.

“This scholarship serves the purpose of being able to help one student get closer to achieving their goal,” the website said. “(They can) land their dream career without having to rack up hundreds of thousands of student loan debt in order to do so.”

Fourth-semester physiology and neurobiology major Prachi Patel said she would apply for the scholarship. She said she believes the scholarship gives students an equal chance to apply.

“If you happened to have a bad semester or year in school, your future academic career wouldn’t be hindered,” Patel said.

Patel said she would do more research on the topic and write the essay without knowing much about real estate.

The submission deadline is Jan. 1, 2019, and a winner will be announced by the end of February 2019.

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.