UConn student finds bug on broccoli at South

Trice posted the picture of a small worm on a piece of broccoli captioned “found this lil buddy on my broccoli at South today” on the Buy or Sell UConn Tickets Facebook page. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

A University of Connecticut student posted about a bug she found in her salad at South Dining Hall on a UConn Facebook page Thursday.

“I went to South for a quick lunch and as I was eating my broccoli, I noticed there was something on it…I realized it was some kind of insect,” Skyler Trice, a fourth-semester human development and family studies major, said. “I showed my friend…and we both just sat there in disgust, especially knowing that I’d already eaten half of my broccoli.”

Trice posted the picture of a small worm on a piece of broccoli captioned “found this lil buddy on my broccoli at South today” on the Buy or Sell UConn Tickets Facebook page.

Trice said that hours after she put up the post, which garnered over 200 reactions and 100 comments, Assistant Director of Residential Dining Michael White reached out to her via email.

White said in the email that he sent Trice’s post to the South Dining Hall manager and asked him to remind the staff to carefully inspect produce after washing. White also said he had them remove the remaining broccoli from the serving line and contacted their health inspector and their vender.

White said he credited Trice’s account with $10 in points.

“The dining staff works really hard and…they handled the situation really well,” Trice said.

Trice said her experience has not dissuaded her from eating at South.

“It seems like it was some freak thing. I trust that the dining staff will do the best not to let it happen again,” Trice said. “Also, it could have been a lot worse.”

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.