What to do if you don’t care about the Super Bowl

FILE - In this Sunday, Jan. 21, 2018, file photo, Philadelphia Eagles' LeGarrette Blount runs for a touchdown during the first half of the NFL football NFC championship game against the Minnesota Vikings in Philadelphia. The Eagles and the New England Patriots are set to meet in Super Bowl 52 on Sunday, Feb. 4, 2018, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum, File)

At 6:30 p.m. this Sunday, a good portion of the United States will drop everything to stare at the television and eat wings for up to four hours. Is this really all that different from what they usually do on the weekend? Maybe not. The only real difference is the confusion people receive when they say they don’t want to do the same. Contrary to popular belief, Super Bowl Sunday doesn’t mean the country will shut down until someone shouts, “We’re going to Disney World!” In fact, for those completely uninterested in football, there are literally thousands of better things they could be doing during this time.

Watching paint dry, for instance, is an infinitely more interesting alternative, but for those who’d rather do something with a little more pizzazz, maybe don’t settle for that.

So what can be done in four hours?

Well, with an approximate 40 minute drive from Storrs to Bradley International in Hartford, followed by a three-hour plane ride to Orlando International Airport and then another 30-minute car ride, you can go to Disney World yourself! There shouldn’t even be too much traffic or any lines for security since “everyone” is watching the Super Bowl. If you’d like to get to the parks even earlier, you’d be able to go on every ride there in the time it would take someone to ride just four on an average day at Disney.

You could run a marathon! The average male marathon runner finishes his 26.2 miles in just a little over four hours.

You can take a nap; you’re in college, you probably need it.

You could play a game of touch football with some friends. Even if you aren’t really sporty, playing sports is always more interesting than watching someone else do it for you.

You can learn how to play the ukulele. It’s one of the easiest instruments to learn the basics of, and once you know those, you can start a career playing on street corners for money. Thus, instead of watching the Super Bowl, you gain a source of income.

You can knock out four of the 40 hours of flight time you need before you can get your pilot’s license.

You can watch two to three movies, depending on length, that will be much more entertaining to you than any sport.

You can throw an anti-Super Bowl party in a bitter, yet festive fashion. Call it a Belated Groundhog’s Day party, if you like.

You can find an incredibly attractive person, who also doesn’t care much for sports, and take them out for dinner and a movie. The next day, when everyone asks you what you thought of the game, you can simply roll your eyes and flash your left hand in their face. They’ll be flabbergasted to see a diamond ring sitting pretty on your finger.

“Sorry, didn’t quite catch the game last night. I was too busy being proposed to,” you say before smugly walking back to your fiancé.

In essence, nothing is stopping you from living your life this Sunday, especially not a silly football game.

Rebecca Maher is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.