Football: Huskies add three new coaches, including special teams coordinator

UConn takes on Boston College at Fenway Park on a rainy  Saturday night. The Huskies fell to the Eagles with a final score of 39-16. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The UConn football team added three new coaches for the upcoming season and a special teams coordinator, head coach Randy Edsall announced in a press release Monday afternoon.

Eddie Allen, who has served as the special teams coordinator at Delaware since 2014, will take over the same position at UConn. Allen has also spent time at Rhode Island, Rutgers and Hofstra, in addition to coaching tight ends at Delaware.

“Eddie’s aggressive approach to special teams was exactly what I was looking for in our special teams coordinator,” Edsall said.  “His teams have shown the ability to block kicks and be very fundamentally sound in the core four units involving special teams.  He has delivered very good results as a special teams coordinator in all the places he has worked.”

Allen’s Blue Hens tied for the top spot in the Colonial Athletic Association in 2017 with a net punting average of 38.8 yards. He also coached two punters to All-CAA teams, including Eric Enderson, who earned third team All-America status in 2014.

“I am extremely excited to join Coach Edsall’s staff,” Allen said.  “Being from the Northeast, I have followed the program closely through the years and I am looking forward to getting around our players and doing my part in the future of success of the program.”

UConn added Mike Moyseenko as offensive quality control coach and Ben Chapman as an offensive graduate assistant working with the offensive line.

Moyseenko spent the last four seasons as the wide receivers coach at Towson, where he also served as offensive quality control coach in 2013. He walked on at Maryland as a quarterback and worked with the offensive scout team in 2003 and 2004.

Chapman, who graduated UConn in 2012, comes to Storrs after spending last season as an assistant defensive line coach at Stonehill College. He also worked at Castleton University and Stonington High School.

Chapman was both an assistant to the recruiting department and a member of the scout team at UConn. He was a member of three bowl teams, including the 2010 squad that won the Big East Championship and played in the 2011 Fiesta Bowl.

Tyler Keating is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.