Melissa's Menu: Chicken lo mein

This week on Melissa's Menu is perfect for when you're looking for a night in but don't want to order takeout: chicken lo mein. (Picture courtesy of Tasty)

This week’s recipe is perfect for when you’re looking for a night in but don’t want to order takeout: chicken lo mein. Lo mein is one of my all time favorite recipes; the noodles, chicken, fresh veggies and sauce come together to create an amazing savory flavor combination that is sure to satisfy your taste buds. Not only is it delicious, but this recipe is actually pretty healthy too. Save yourself the money and hassle of ordering Chinese takeout with this recipe!

Ingredients:

• 4 servings egg noodles
  • 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • ¼ cup chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ onion, sliced
  • ½ shiitake mushroom, sliced
  • ½ cup carrot, sliced
  • ½ cup sugar snap peas, halved
  • 1 lb chicken breast, sliced
  • scallion, chopped for garnish
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Season chicken with pepper, salt and one tablespoon of sesame oil. Mix thoroughly and set aside. In a different bowl add chicken broth, one tablespoon of sesame oil, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and cornstarch. Mix thoroughly. Heat oil over medium-high heat on the stove. Add  the chicken and cook until it’s no longer pink (three to four minutes). Remove the chicken and add ginger and garlic, stir until fragrant. Add mushrooms, onions, carrots and sugar snap peas. Stir fry until the vegetables are tender. Add the cooked chicken and cooked egg noodles. Toss in the sauce and cook for another three minutes. Garnish with scallions.

This recipe may seem a little daunting at first, but it’s really not as difficult as it seems. Making your own fresh versions of takeout can be a much healthier alternative to ordering the real thing. This recipe can also be very personalized. You can add any meat or veggies you feel like having, or you can substitute the chicken with tofu to make it vegetarian!

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.