Women's Basketball: Huskies head to New Orleans to begin final road trip

Coming off a victory against Temple the Huskies have a road trip to Tulane up next (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The last time the UConn women’s basketball team played in New Orleans, the Huskies almost saw an end to their 100-game winning streak. Tulane nearly pulled off an upset, but UConn escaped with a 63-60 victory to record its 101st consecutive win.

The Green Wave host the Huskies in their return trip to the Big Easy Wednesday night to begin UConn’s final road trip of the season. After the game against Tulane, the Huskies will stay down south before taking on SMU Saturday night.

UConn (26-0, 13-0 the American) defeated Tulane 98-45 earlier this year in Storrs, and head coach Geno Auriemma doesn’t think last year’s scare will have any effect on this year’s game in New Orleans.

“I remember it was a madhouse when we were down there because it was the (NBA) All-Star Game and everything was different about our routine,” Auriemma said. “And Kia (Nurse) didn’t play, so it just became one thing after another. I feel pretty good about going down there.”

Kia Nurse missed the game at Tulane last year but should be good to go Wednesday (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

Tulane (12-14, 4-9 the American) has lost five of its last six games and has already matched its conference loss total from last season with three games still to play. In their last time out, the Green Wave lost to Memphis, providing the Tigers with just their third conference victory of the season.

Senior guard Kolby Morgan leads the Green Wave with 19.4 points per game, ranking fifth in the American in scoring. Morgan averages over 10 points more than any of her teammates and ranks 10th in Division I in active career scoring. The Green Wave’s star player was held to just two points on 1-10 shooting in UConn’s last matchup with Tulane.

“She’s really hard to guard,” Auriemma said of Morgan. “She doesn’t have a lot of help this year, so they’ve really struggled scoring points…Any time you’ve got a kid that can get 20, 25, obviously it’s something you’ve got to prepare for.”

Napheesa Collier led the Huskies with 26 points and 12 rebounds in New Orleans last year. Collier has put up 26 points only once this season, coming just a few games ago in UConn’s historic win over Wichita State.

Six Huskies scored in double figures against Tulane earlier this season, led by Katie Lou Samuelson’s 19 points. Gabby Williams scored 13 points in addition to nine assists and seven rebounds.

UConn is coming off a 106-45 victory over Temple and is looking to complete a perfect season. After Wednesday’s game, the Huskies have just two games remaining on their regular season schedule.

The Huskies and Green Wave will tip off at 8 p.m. Wednesday night at Devlin Fieldhouse in New Orleans.

I feel pretty good about going down there
— Head Coach Geno Auriemma

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.