Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux: A breakup that was bound to happen

FILE - In this Jan. 25, 2015 file photo, Jennifer Aniston, left, and Justin Theroux pose in the audience at the 21st annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles. The couple announced Thursday, Feb. 15, 2018, that they have separated. (Vince Bucci/Invision/AP, File)

For a woman who has starred in so many romantic comedies, Jennifer Aniston is not nearly as lucky in love as the characters she portrays. As of Feb. 15, her husband of two and a half years, Justin Theroux, announced their separation to the Associated Press.

This divorce brings Aniston’s failed marriage count to two including her previous marriage to Brad Pitt from 2000 to 2005. A Daily News photo collage of Pitt and Aniston’s journey from marriage to divorce explains it was believed that her first marriage had ended due to Pitt’s affair with his co-star in the film “Mr. and Mrs. Smith,” Angelina Jolie. According to this collage, there were pictures found of Pitt and Jolie spending time together in Kenya prior to the divorce. There was also some speculation that the two actors fought over whether or not to have children, although Aniston denies this.

There is a lot of speculation on the reasons behind Aniston and Theroux’s divorce, a factor that Aniston had predicted and had tried to avoid by keeping the entire ordeal under wraps.

An article by Dan Wootton in The Sun indicates a distance between Theroux and Aniston both in lifestyle and miles. Where Aniston wanted to stay in L.A. doing yoga and living a more quiet life, Theroux spent much of his time partying in the New York art scene. One of his favorite party companions is the gorgeous artist Petra Collins. Collins’ closeness to Theroux is thought to have caused jealousy to the once-scorned Aniston. With the two on opposite ends of the country, Aniston and Theroux spent much of 2015 apart. This kind of distance can definitely spell disaster for any relationship, so it is likely a very large factor in their break up.

In a world where celebrity marriage often goes hand in hand with prenups and other precautions in anticipation of a messy divorce, it’s a wonder that anyone gets married at all. Which is why it shouldn’t come as a surprise if the article in TMZ is true, and the couple were never married in the first place. This article indicates that TMZ investigated into L.A. county marriage licenses, and there is no record of Aniston and Theroux ever having one. Furthermore, there is no sign of either party taking up a divorce lawyer.

Despite their elaborate wedding on August 5, 2015, maybe the greatest thing this couple had in common was their cynical outlook on relationships. With Aniston’s failed marriage to Brad Pitt and Theroux’s failed relationship with Heidi Bivens, long-term relationships are clearly not this pair’s forte.

To Aniston’s fans, it might be upsetting that she has still yet to find a man good enough for her. Luckily this 49 year old continues to be a goddess with the same gorgeous looks she had in her twenties, and will do spectacularly well in life with or without a man by her side.

Rebecca Maher is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at