UConn Stamford adds “start-to-finish” computer science major

“With so many companies in the Fairfield County and New York City region, we are confident that many of our computer science students will be able to secure internships and other experiential learning opportunities that will prepare them for the job market once they graduate,” Cheng said. (Angelina Reyes/UConn Photo)

University of Connecticut students can now complete the entirety of a computer science degree at UConn’s Stamford campus.

Two full-time faculty members in the computer science program are now teaching freshman and sophomore classes, according to UConn Today. UConn Stamford’s first computer science majors will graduate as part of the Class of 2020.

Terrence Cheng, UConn Stamford campus director, said Stamford previously offered some computer science classes, but not the full curriculum that allows for major completion.

Cheng said it “made sense” to bring computer science to the Stamford campus because it satisfies both student demand and regional and industry needs.

“With so many companies in the Fairfield County and New York City region, we are confident that many of our computer science students will be able to secure internships and other experiential learning opportunities that will prepare them for the job market once they graduate,” Cheng said.

UConn Stamford computer science professors Augusto Casas and Phillip Bradford said they are excited about bringing the computer science major to the Stamford campus, citing the benefits they believe it will bring to both UConn students and Stamford area businesses.

“These new opportunities for students will help build the economic foundations of Stamford and this region,” Bradford said. “Computer science is a fundamental contributor to most industries’ competitive advantages, (so) these students will be able to enhance economic growth by directly developing new products and services through computing.”

Casas said the UConn Stamford computer science program will give a growing number of businesses in the Stamford area and Fairfield county “close access to a pool of talented and well-prepared young UConn graduates.”

“Not only businesses will benefit,” Casas said. “Our students and graduates will find high quality jobs and internships as well as the opportunity to exploit their talent, solve real business needs, create new products and services and make a positive impact on the local community.”

Bradford said he doesn’t know of any major company that doesn’t have a demand for computing professionals.

“Our new computer science program will supply top-flight computer science graduates for placement in all the major firms in Fairfield and nearby counties, the Stamford area and the NYC region,” Bradford said. “I have already had a number of requests for student interns.”

The UConn Stamford campus will be offering $10,000 Fairhaven Scholarships to eligible computer science majors from Fairfield and New Haven counties. These scholarships can be renewed annually, according to the UConn Stamford website.

Computer science is UConn Stamford’s 14th “start-to-finish” major, according to UConn Today. It joins other majors that can be completed entirely at the Stamford campus, including psychology, economics, political science, digital media and design and business concentrations.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.