Women’s Basketball: Huskies cruise to Big, Easy win

Connecticut guard Kia Nurse (11) and Connecticut guard Crystal Dangerfield (5) try to trap Tulane guard Kaila Anderson (1) during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game in New Orleans, Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018. (AP Photo/Scott Threlkeld)

The UConn women’s basketball team won its 50th consecutive road game Wednesday night with a 91-47 victory over the Tulane Green Wave. The win was the 1,109th in program history, moving them to No. 2 all-time in NCAA women’s basketball history behind Tennessee.

UConn (27-0, 14-0 the American) shot 66.7 percent from the field, whereas the Green Wave (12-15, 4-10 the American) shot just 35.4 percent. The two teams combined for 47 turnovers.

Just over a year after surviving Tulane’s upset bid in New Orleans to break up UConn’s 100-game winning streak, the Huskies jumped out to a 28-7 lead after one quarter and never looked back. The Huskies improved to 9-0 all-time against the Green Wave.

Tulane took an early lead on a 3-pointer by star guard Kolby Morgan. Those quick three points already eclipsed Morgan’s performance in the first meeting with UConn this season in which she only scored two points in a 98-45 loss.

Morgan, who averages 19.3 points per game this season, struggled with her efficiency in Wednesday’s contest but still led the Green Wave in scoring with 15 points. Morgan shot 4-12 from the field, including 1-5 from the 3-point line and had four turnovers in the game.

Sixth man Azurá Stevens was UConn’s leading scorer, finishing with 23 points on 9-12 shooting from the field. Stevens also contributed with an impressive defensive performance, tallying four blocks.

Despite head coach Geno Auriemma regularly telling Stevens to not shoot from the 3-point line, Stevens attempted three 3-pointers and missed all of them. Still, the redshirt junior transfer from Duke was perfect from 2-point range and was an offensive weapon for the dominant Huskies.

Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn’s leading scorer for the season with 18.3 points per game, nearly recorded a triple-double. Samuelson scored 15 points and added nine rebounds and seven assists in 30 minutes. Fellow junior Napheesa Collier scored 22 points on 9-11 shooting from the field, along with five rebounds and three blocks.

UConn freshman Megan Walker did not play in the game due to a coach’s decision. Walker and Stevens are generally the only players to contribute off the bench for the Huskies, but Auriemma has been frustrated with the bench play all season. In the last time out against Temple, the Huskies got 39 points from their bench, but tonight only two points were scored outside of Stevens’ 23.

The Huskies will head to Dallas to take on SMU their final road matchup of the regular season Saturday evening.

Chris Hanna is the associate sports editor  for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.