Dunkin Donuts is eliminating Styrofoam for a greener tomorrow

This change will keep nearly one billion Styrofoam cups out of the global waste stream annually, according to the press release. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

Recently, Dunkin’ Donuts announced their plan to completely eliminate the use of Styrofoam in their restaurants by 2020. Over the next two years, they plan to phase out the use of their current hot beverage cups in favor of an eco-friendlier option. Instead of Styrofoam, the company will be implementing new double-walled paper cups that they assure customers will keep beverages just as tongue-numbingly hot as the Styrofoam ones do.

This move to greener products is a large step forward for Dunkin’ Donuts as a company, and will also help benefit our school. At the University of Connecticut, there are many groups on campus trying to make our school more environmentally friendly and sustainable. This effort by Dunkin’ Donuts will only add to our community’s drive to become better for the environment.

Dunkin’ Donuts is a chain that has over 9,000 locations in the United States alone with many other branches outside of this country. These locations are consistently visited by millions of customers each year. According to a press release put out by the company, “Dunkin’ Donuts’ transition to paper cups will remove nearly one billion foam cups from the waste stream annually.”

Each year, Americans throw away nearly 25 billion Styrofoam cups that then sit in landfills and harm our environment. While it may be easy and convenient, the use of Styrofoam is greatly adding to the rapid decline of our country’s ecological health. By removing a large portion of Styrofoam cups from the equation, Dunkin’ Donuts is helping to eliminate Styrofoam forever and thus make our planet healthier and safer.

Following Dunkin’ Donuts’ announcement, people are hopeful that other businesses will follow its lead and aim to eliminate the use of Styrofoam in their businesses also. At UConn, the elimination of Styrofoam from Dunkin’ Donuts is a welcome change, but others argue that alternatives can be more expensive and less convenient. With a large company like Dunkin’ Donuts taking the lead on this endeavor, other companies will hopefully see that a beneficial switch like this can be done.

It is imperative that we keep pushing for more ways to become a greener community here at UConn such as by ending Styrofoam in all of UConn’s food services or enacting a plastic bag ban around campus. Dunkin’ Donuts should serve as an inspiration for the rest of us to help save our environment.