Lacrosse: UConn prepares to face Cal

The Huskies will take on Cal at 3 p.m. on Friday at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn lacrosse team (1-2) is set to face west coast foe the University of California (2-1) on Friday.

The Huskies will be looking to stay undefeated at home.

After a tough road loss to James Madison University on Sunday, senior Grace Nolan was named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll. Between the two games played last week, Nolan had nine points off of six goals and three assists. The honor was Nolan’s first accolade of the season and the second accolade for the team. Nolan has recorded at least a goal and an assist in all three games this season.

UConn senior Kelsey Catalano also set a new program record in draw controls last Wednesday when she won 11 against Fairfield.

Friday’s Cal and UConn game will be the sixth meeting between the two teams. UConn is 4-1 overall in the series.

The trip to the east coast will be Cal’s first road trip of the season. They will also be playing UMass-Lowell on Sunday. Cal is seeking their first 3-1 start since the 2007 season.

The most important player to watch on Cal is senior team captain Elizabeth Koehler. After this past week’s win against Mercer, Koehler was named the PAC-12 Defensive Player of the Week. In that game Koehler had two caused turnovers, five draws and three ground balls. On the season, Koehler has 14 draws, six ground balls and two caused turnovers.

Another Cal player to watch is redshirt sophomore Kirsten Swanson. Swanson scored five points against Mercer off of three goals and two assists.

Cal’s head coach is Brooke Eubanks. Eubanks is in her fourth season with the Bears. As an athlete, Eubanks won multiple medals for the Canadian Senior National Team.

The Huskies will take on Cal at 3 p.m. on Friday at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.