Men’s Tennis: Preview vs Fordham

The match will be played at 6 PM at Life Time Athletic in Harrison, NY. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s tennis team will look to right the ship this weekend in New York when they take on Fordham. The Huskies are coming off a pair of 7-0 defeats at the hands of Army and Buffalo.

Despite not winning a match in either outing, associate head coach Reinaldo Valor felt the team was competitive in each match.

“We battled hard and had the opportunity to win the doubles point on courts one and three but couldn’t convert” Valor said of the Army match. Although his team did not get the results they were looking for, Valor was happy with his teams fight and was optimistic they will pick up momentum going forward.

Ending the two match losing streak will be no easy task on Saturday, as UConn (3-4) will face a tough test at Fordham. The Rams have won four of the five matches they’ve played in February and have a 7-3 record for the year. Each team has beaten Siena 6-1, but have faced no common competition otherwise.

So far this season, UConn has been led by Freshman Yili Zheng with 10 wins at the number one singles position. Following Zheng, the remainder of the singles lineup includes Junior Hank Hill at number two, Junior Justin Warren at number three, Junior Jack McLister at number four, Sophomore Jonathan Edwards at number five, and Sophomore Evan Powell at number six. The doubles lineup has consisted of Brady Flanagan/Warren at number one, Zheng/Edwards at number two, and Hill/McLister at number three.

The match will be played at 6 PM at Life Time Athletic in Harrison, NY.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at