UConn branches prepare for upcoming student government elections

Students at Stamford and Avery Point will elect officers to ASG while Hartford and Waterbury will hold referendum votes on fee increases, the website said. (File/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s branch campuses are preparing for upcoming student government elections, according to UConn’s election website.

Voting at UConn Hartford starts Feb. 27 at noon and ends at noon on March 1. The UConn Avery Point election will take place from March 19 through the 23, President of UConn Avery Point’s Associated Student Government (ASG) Sawyer McCrabb said.

Students can vote by visiting vote.uconn.edu and clicking on the link for their branch once elections open.

Students at Stamford and Avery Point will elect officers to ASG while Hartford and Waterbury will hold referendum votes on fee increases, the website said.

Like the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) at UConn Storrs, ASG sponsors and manages events and shows at the branch campuses. The offices of president and treasurer, along with several committee chairs, are among the seven positions up for election this semester, McCrabb said.

“In the spring we elect seven out of nine positions ranging from our executive board, events committee and student relations committee,” McCrabb said. “The biggest change, though, is that we moved the Vice President’s election into the fall along with the Freshman Chair.”

McCrabb said constitutional changes have been made this year to combat a lack of election participation in the commuter environment.

“As learned from last year, participation in elections is not always the greatest… and we do not always pull in enough interest from students to fill all positions,” McCrabb said. “This year, ASG has taken numerous steps to properly recruit for ASG positions.”

In Hartford, ASG President Caitlin Savinelli said she and the treasurer have worked to approve a fee increase that will help manage the growing expenses for facilities and event fees while continuing to provide student entertainment such as comedy shows and other activities.

“We are in the process of trying to get the fee increased to be $50 per semester per student,” Savinelli said. “With our change to the Downtown Hartford Campus, we have incurred a lot more expenses, such as room rentals. In order to have the same level of programming, we are in need of a fee increase to allow us to continue enhancing the students’ experience.”

The proposed fee increase raises the current Hartford student fee of $30 a semester to $50 a semester, Savinelli said. Students will be able to vote on the increase in the elections.

The Daily Campus reached out to the student government offices at both UConn Stamford and Waterbury about their upcoming elections but has yet to hear back.

Andrew Miano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.miano@uconn.edu.