Women’s Basketball: Huskies make final stop on regular season road trip

UConn will be faced with a tough schedule after Saturday’s game, as the Huskies will have to take a late flight home to Storrs before a quick turnaround to a Monday night matchup with No. 18 USF. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s basketball team has won 50 consecutive road games dating back to an overtime game at Stanford in 2014. The Huskies will close out their 2017-18 road slate looking to extend that streak against SMU Saturday at Moody Coliseum.

UConn (27-0, 14-0 the American) is still perfect this season and has not lost an American Athletic Conference game since joining the conference five years ago. This season, the Huskies have rolled through the conference, winning by an average of 48.9 points per game. UConn has won every conference game by at least 18 points.

In last year’s matchup in Dallas, Katie Lou Samuelson scored a game-high of 28 points in the Huskies’ 88-48 win. Napheesa Collier scored 19 points and grabbed 16 rebounds in addition to six blocks. UConn has never lost to SMU and leads the all-time series 8-0.  

SMU (10-17, 4-10 the American) owns a 21-7 record at Moody Coliseum over the last two seasons, including an 8-5 home record this year. The Mustangs score the least points in the American, averaging just 56.5 points per game this season.

Senior guard McKenzie Adams paces the Mustangs with 16.7 points per game, ranking eighth in the conference. Junior forward Dai’ja Thomas leads SMU in rebounds with 6.8 per game. Thomas grabbed an impressive 22 rebounds, including nine offensive boards, in a win over ECU last month.

SMU senior center Klara Bradshaw has been the third-best shot-blocker in the American this season with 50 blocks, an average of 1.9 per game. The only players ahead of Bradshaw are UConn forwards Collier and Azurá Stevens, with 52 and 51 blocks, respectively.

Last time out, the Huskies defeated Tulane 91-47 Wednesday night. Stevens scored 23 points and shot 9-9 from 2-point range and 5-5 from the free throw line. Collier added 22 points on 9-11 shooting and Katie Lou Samuelson recorded 15 points, nine rebounds and seven assists.

Megan Walker did not play in Wednesday’s game because of a coach’s decision. Walker is one of the Huskies’ two contributors off the bench this season and could be needed come tournament time.

UConn will be faced with a tough schedule after Saturday’s game, as the Huskies will have to take a late flight home to Storrs before a quick turnaround to a Monday night matchup with No. 18 USF.

The Huskies’ final road game of the season will tip off at 6 p.m.

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.