Calista’s Cinema Conversations: Star Wars saga

IMAGE DISTRIBUTED FOR HASBRO, INC. - Hasbro, Inc's STAR WARS ULTIMATE CO-PILOT CHEWIE (from the makers of FurReal) makes his debut at American International Toy Fair on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018 in New York. He responds to over 100 external movements and sounds. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision for Hasbro, Inc./AP Images)

In anticipation of the new Star Wars spin-off story titled “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” I have decided to dedicate this week to the Star Wars saga.

There are two ways to watch the Star Wars movies that have to do with the three trilogies that exist within the nine-movie contract of the series. The “prequel trilogy” consists of the characters Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala as they find who they can trust in a Republic full of corruption. The original trilogy follows the characters Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa, Han Solo and Darth Vader as they save the Jedi from the forces that want to destroy it. The new or the “sequel” trilogy follows the characters Rey, Finn, Kylo Ren and Poe Dameron as they help the Resistance fight off the First Order and their attempt to control the galaxy.

Some start with the original trilogy, or the fourth to sixth films, of the series. They watch those three films before going back to the first movie “The Phantom Menace” and watching the “prequel trilogy,” then returning to the new trilogy and watching those two movies. The last movie of the new trilogy will be released December 2019.

The next way to watch the series is to start with the prequel trilogy, then the original trilogy and finish with the new trilogy. This is the way I was told to watch it, so I am not able to give a unbiased opinion whether the other way is better than watching them all in their chronological order. I know people that have seen the Star Wars Saga both ways and many of my friends have informed me that starting with the original trilogy is the more enjoyable Star Wars movie experience.

The prequels are the most unpopular of all the Star Wars movies, mainly for their lack of multi-dimensional characters, the weak writing and Hayden Christensen’s acting. Christensen plays the main character, Anakin Skywalker. The originals were the most popular of the series, with a unique plot, interesting characters and a new take on the sci-fi genre.

The new trilogy has a lot of mixed feelings surrounding it. Though it has the same appeal as the originals and contains many of the protagonists from the first trilogy, this only means that many fans hold it to a higher standard than the prequels as they are “continuing a legacy” that the prequels never had. The main characters in these films have to continue in the fight for good and even form close relationships with Luke, Leia and Han. This automatically sets the standards high for die-hard fans that were waiting for these “sequels” since the finale of the original trilogy “Return of the Jedi.”

There are also two spin-off films:“Rogue One” and the upcoming “Solo: A Star Wars Story.” Both do not follow the same plots as the main Star Wars series and tell different stories that end up relating to the plot of the main series. “Rogue One” tells the story of a specific event that leads to the plot for the first movie of the original trilogy: “A New Hope.” While “Solo: A Star Wars Story” will reveal the backstory of Han Solo, a main character from the original trilogy.

Calista Giroux is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at calista.giroux@gmail.com.