Commuter Corner: Cars aren’t the only way we get around

The library in your town is probably in walking distance from your house and is filled with activities - go visit it!  (Hannah Desrosiers/The Daily Campus)

Alright, so believe it or not, this won’t be another article on buses, though I absolutely recommend taking them, especially if you park far away. This article is actually about something way simpler.

Now you might be on the bike track thinking, “There’s no way I can fit one of those into my tiny car and I am definitely not riding one all the way to school,” but that’s not where I’m headed either. Bicycles are great for sure, but not on campus. Any pedestrian calmly walking down a UConn sidewalk will understand why: there’s just no stopping them.

What else could I be going for with this? Your legs.

I commute from 45 minutes away, so trust me when I say that walking to campus from your home is not what I’m going for. What I’m trying to promote are local activities that don’t need to be driven to. Try out a library near you, and start by walking there. Don’t take out more than a few books, if any — a pleasant stroll will quickly become a struggle with too many books to cart home — but use the time to explore something new. Or, if you’ve been there before, use the time to look closer at the route you usually drive. You probably never noticed the number of cracks on the sidewalk before, or the amount of wildlife living off to the side. We’re so busy driving places that we can’t actually take in the beauty we pass by on our commutes.

Another fun idea — keep in mind, this is coming from the girl who hates exercise — could be to find some trails in your town. If there’s a school system, there’s a good chance the cross country team will have trails to practice on nearby. Or, there are a ton in Mansfield, so once you drive to school, take an hour or so and explore the woods. I would also challenge you to not post any Instagram pics during that time, but I know some of you can’t resist.

My point is, as commuters, we spend a lot of time with our cars. These machines are getting us an education, so naturally they are pretty awesome. If you find yourself driving everywhere, or even taking the bus everywhere, you may want to take a minute and walk. That cute coffee shop down the road? It’s a nice day for a stroll.  Going to meet up some friends close by? Leave the car at home.

Hopefully the weather stays nice enough to actually commit to doing this, but it’s been having a lot of mood swings lately, so we’ll see. But keep it in mind, even if it’s once every other week. Take some time to explore what’s close to you in a way that only slowing down your pace can.

Hannah Desrosiers is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hannah.desrosiers@uconn.edu.