Huskies win series at Southeastern Louisiana

In this file photo, UConn baseball beats Quinnipiac University on April 17, 2017 at home with a final score of 4-3. (File/The Daily Campus)

No. 25 ranked UConn dropped their first game at Southern Louisiana, falling 6-2 on Friday night but went swept the doubleheader on Saturday to take the series.

Much of UConn’s problems were self-inflicted. Four of the six Southern Louisiana runs came off batters who reached base via walks or were hit by pitch.

UConn starter Tim Cate had to work hard to get out of the first inning. He threw 29 pitches and allowed an two-out RBI double. Cate finished the night with five innings under his belt, two earned runs and four hits.

The Huskies tied the game in the third after Athony Prato brought John Toppa home off a sizzling hit SLU third baseman Taylor Schwaner couldn’t handle. However, the Lions wrestled back the lead in the fifth inning with a pair of runs and added some breathing room in the six for a 4-1 lead.

The Huskies threatened in the eighth inning after a Zac Susi-RBI single but the Lions added two more runs in the bottom frame to hand UConn its second loss of the season.

In the first game of Saturday’s double-header, the Huskies didn’t waste any time earning themselves a lead. Zac Susi knocked in three of the Huskies’ five runs in the first three innings to put UConn up 5-2 early. However, SLU fought back to take a 6-5 lead seventh.

This set up right fielder Isaac Feldstein to play the hero. With the Huskies trailing by and with one out in the ninth inning, Feldstein hit a blast to deep center that cleared the fence. Feldstein’s third home run of the season ended up being the game-winner as the Huskies held on for the 7-6 victory.

The Huskies’ bats were still hot to start Game two of the double header as they jumped out to a 3-0 lead through the first two innings. SLU got two runs back before centerfielder Troy Stefanski slapped a solo shot over the right field fence and Susi contributed his fourth RBI of the day to make it 5-2.

The Lions added a run in the sixth and seventh innings but Anthony Prato provided an RBI triple to make it 6-4 and PJ Poulin threw two scoreless innings to bring UConn to the finish line.

The series win moved the Huskies to 4-2 on the season.

The Huskies will continue to rack up the frequent flyer miles next week when they head to Jacksonville, Florida for a three game series against North Florida.

Bryan Lambert is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at