Mainstream media continues the fake news narrative

Democratic Rep. Ted Deutch of Florida, right, disagrees with Sen. Marco Rubio during a CNN town hall meeting, Wednesday, Feb. 21, 2018, at the BB&T Center, in Sunrise, Fla. (Michael Laughlin/South Florida Sun-Sentinel via AP)

The mainstream media is terribly out of control in this country. Nowhere is this clearer than the recent town hall event CNN held after the horrific school shooting that took place in Parkland, Florida. The town hall quickly turned into a total fiasco screaming session where anyone who even hinted at a pro 2nd amendment stance was shouted down. Not surprisingly a story broke that CNN scripted the questions it wanted the kids to ask. These questions proved to be very one sided and condemning of anyone who even thought about disagreeing. On top of that, CNN also denied a Junior ROTC member of the school named Colton Haab from asking the question he wanted so he decided not to attend.

I’d like to make it clear that I have no problem with the children who were involved in the shooting asking tough questions. My problem lies directly with deceitful fake news CNN for literally slanting this town hall in a biased direction that they deemed the correct position.

I suppose this shouldn’t come as a surprise at this point. In a similar way, CNN’s Donna Brazile famously gave Hillary Clinton questions prior to debates during the 2016 election cycle. Another CNN fake news event happened this week when anchor Chris Cuomo posted a video on Twitter in which a 20-year-old claims to have bought in AR-15 in five minutes with no background check. This video turned out to be a total lie; the person in the video simply asked about buying the gun but never actually purchased it. Even after this video was proven false, Chris Cuomo didn’t take it down, further pushing this fake video out to the masses.

This isn’t only bad because of the mistruths and deception we are subject to on a daily basis. It’s even worse because at some point you have to question how long and how widespread these deceptions have been. How many breaking stories over the years have been doctored, slanted, or a complete lie? At some point, we as a society have to say enough is enough. Large portions of our free press is failing us, and it has to end. Every time fake news CNN or any other slanted news outlet loses ratings it’s a beautiful day for truth in this country. A free, truthful press is absolutely vital to our democracy. People work too hard and are far too busy to investigate stories for themselves.

There is always so much going on in the world and after a long day at work, people like to be able to come home, turn on the news, and get informed on what’s going on in the world. How sad is it that at this point we have no idea on whether the reports we see are accurate. I’m not saying that news outlets have to be absolutely perfect and never make a mistake. Reporting on news can be a complicated endeavor and mistakes can be made. What I am saying is that when news stations purposely twist, slant or make up news, it is absolutely terrible for our democracy.

At this point, let’s just call it what it is. CNN and other major news outlets are totally condescending to average Americans. They believe the average person is too ignorant, uncaring and unintelligent to question them. It is absolutely repulsive. I’m thankful that we live in a time where more and more news outlets are popping up by the day. Whether it be on YouTube or other social media outlets, many new platforms are being created to fill the void left by the fake news machine. Be vigilant when picking the sources you choose to get your news from.

Alexander Grzelak is a staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at alexander.grzelak@uconn.edu.