Men’s Tennis falls to Fordham

"The guys had opportunities to win the doubles point, winning at three doubles and was up 4-1 at No. 2,"  associate head coach Reinaldo Valor said. “We need one of these matches to go our way to make our breakthrough." (Dave Lowensohn/Flickr Creative Commons)

The UConn men’s tennis team was defeated by Fordham 6-1 on Saturday night at Life Time Athletic Center in Harrison, New York.

Despite the 6-1 score-line, the Huskies stayed competitive and maintained their chances to pull out a victory. Needing to win two doubles matches to secure the doubles point, the team of juniors Hank Hill and Jack McLister picked up a 7-5 win at the third doubles before the second doubles team of freshmen Yili Zheng and Senior Jonathan Edwards gave up a 4-1 lead, losing 7-6.

"The guys had opportunities to win the doubles point, winning at three doubles and was up 4-1 at No. 2,"  associate head coach Reinaldo Valor said. “We need one of these matches to go our way to make our breakthrough."

The first doubles team of junior Justin Warren and freshman John Holtmann lost 7-5, allowing Fordham to secure the doubles point.

In the singles play, the Huskies came up short in three tight matches that all went to three sets. At No. 2 singles, Hill lost 6-4, 3-6, 6-3. Meanwhile, Warren fell at No. 4 6-2, 1-6, 6-3 and Holtmann was defeated 1-6, 6-2, 6-3 at No. 6.

"We keep putting ourselves in a position to win but have not been able to convert,” said Valor. “Fordham played a great match but this one hurts.”

Zheng and McLister each lost in straight sets at No. 1 and No. 3, respectively, while Edwards picked up the team’s lone point with a 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 5.

The loss dropped the Huskies’ record to 3-5, while Fordham improved to 8-3. UConn will look to turn things around when they travel across the state to visit Fairfield on March 2, to face a 2-3 Stags team.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.