Men’s Track: Snead, distance shine at American Indoor Championship

UConn Track & Field hard at practice in Greer Fieldhouse (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn Men’s Track & Field team competed in the American Indoor Track & Field Championships this weekend and placed fourth out of eight teams with 93.5 points. Powerhouse Houston came in first with 137 points, followed by Memphis and Wichita State with 107 points and 103 points, respectively.

The best performance for the Huskies came from junior jumper Malik Snead, who came in first place in the triple jump with a distance of 15.48 meters. This was the first career conference title for Snead.

As usual, the Huskies dominated in the long distance events. In the mile, sophomore Eric Van Der Els placed second with a time of 4:12.05. Peter Garmon (4:12.42), Michael O’Donnell (4:12.67) and Kyle Barber (4:12.71) came in fourth, fifth and sixth place, respectively, as UConn grabbed 20 points from the mile alone.

The team had a similar outing in the 3000m, with junior Patrick Begley finishing in third place at a time of 8:15.92. Michael O’Donnell (8:20.92) placed fifth, Michael McGonnigle (8:26.83) placed seventh and Ian Mickool (8:27.10) placed eighth, as the four of them combined for 12 points. Begley also finished third in the 5000m with a time of 14:16.61. He was joined in the event by sophomore Kyle Brackman who ran a 14:29.08, which was good for fifth place.

Other Huskies who had strong performances include senior sprinter Trenten Beram who came in third place in the 400m at a time of 47.11. Freshman standout Tyler Gleen finished fifth in the 800m, running a 1:52.07. Daniel Claxton placed third and Safir Scott placed fifth in the high jump with heights of 2.06m and 2.01m respectively.

Pole Vaulter Craig Hunter came in fifth place in his first meet since Dec. 2, as he has been sidelined due to a wrist injury. The distance medley relay team consisting of Parker Timmerman, Daniel Linehan, Terrell Cunningham and Will Brisman placed third with a time of 10:10.26. Jordan Torney and Samuel Rusak each captured points in the Heptathlon, as Torney finished in fifth and Rusak in eighth.

The season continues next weekend as the Huskies head back up to Boston University to compete in the IC4A Championships on March 2-4.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at