Women's Hockey: Huskies headed to Semi-Finals

Despite being the No. 7 seed, UConn women's Hockey upset Providence to reach the Hockey East Playoff Semi-Finals (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team will advance to the semifinals of the Hockey East tournament after beating No. 10 Providence in a best of three series this past weekend.

After sweeping the final weekend of their regular season against Merrimack, the Huskies became the seven seed in the WHEA playoffs. They were set to play the two seeded Friars.

The first game was played in Providence on Friday night with the Friars shutting out the Huskies 4-0. UConn’s goaltender, senior Annie Belanger recorded 30 saves. Throughout the entire game, UConn was outshot 34-25. It was the sixth time this season the Huskies had been shutout.

There were only three penalties called the entire game, two of which went against UConn.

After the game, UConn’s head coach Chris MacKenzie applauded Providence for playing hard.

“Tonight we were not good enough,” MacKenzie said. “Hats off to Providence. They played a solid game. They got the lead, kept it, kept increasing the lead and we didn’t get enough offensive pressure.”

MacKenzie also detailed how they would approach the next day’s do or die game.

“Essentially, it’s been the playoffs for the last four weeks,” MacKenzie said. “So you know, we need to forget about this, learn from it, forget about it and just move on to tomorrow.”

The next day, the Huskies proved their worth by shutting out Providence 3-0.

Senior Theresa Knutson scored the first goal of the game at 11:14 in the first period and after that the Huskies never looked back. The goal was the 50th of Knutson’s career.

In the second period, senior team captain Justine Fredette scored to give the Huskies a 2-0 lead.

In the third period, junior Kayla Mee scored an empty net goal to seal the win.

The Friars were held to just 23 shots on target in the game.

The game was Belanger’s fourth shutout of the season.

After the game, MacKenzie praised his teams win.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.