Women’s Lacrosse: Nolan leads UConn to another home win

The Women's Lacrosse team comes up with a win against California 12-8 on Friday, February 23, 2018. Grace Nolan led the Huskies with 4 points (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus).

A balanced scoring effort helped the UConn women’s lacrosse team grind out a 12-8 victory over California Friday in Storrs.

UConn’s offense performed well, with five players scoring goals and four players recording assists.

But the standout performer of the game was senior attacker Grace Nolan. Nolan finished with a game-high four goals and a game-high three assists, and her energy was key for UConn to come away with the victory.

On the other side, the California Golden Bears started out strong by taking a 2-0 lead on back-to-back goals by Eliza Christman and Nikki Zaccaro. Their defense looked good in the early going as well, forcing multiple UConn turnovers, but the Huskies were only getting started.

UConn (2-2) went on to score five straight goals and California only managed to get one more before the Huskies went into the second half with a 5-3 lead.

The second half turned out to be more of the same for the Huskies and the closest they let the Golden Bears get in the second half was 9-7 with 12:26 remaining. After that, the Huskies finished the game out strong.

The offense was the key difference between the teams in this game, as UConn attempted 32 total shots to California’s 17.

In addition to Nolan, UConn’s scoring came from Caitlin Leary with three goals, Kelsey Catalano with two, Lexi Kenneally with two and Olivia Miles with one.

Sophomore Grace Beshlian started in the goal for UConn and recorded six saves, but the most important stat is the “W” under the wins and losses column.

UConn moved to 2-2 on the season with the win Friday and will look for back-to-back wins for the first time this season when they play the University of New Hampshire Wildcats on Wednesday. The game will be in Durham, New Hampshire at 3 p.m.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zac.lane@uconn.edu.