Golf: Huskies finish middle of the pack at Loyola Intercollegiate

UConn begins their next tournament Monday, March fifth at the Fort Lauderdale Country Club for the Fort Lauderdale Intercollegiate. (Courtesy/UConn Men's Golf)

The UConn golf team finished ninth in a field of 19 schools in the Loyola Intercollegiate, which took place from Saturday through Monday at Palm Valley Golf Course in Goodyear, AZ.

Nick Harrington led the way for the Huskies, finishing -7, largely due to a four-birdie 68 on Saturday. Harrington played consistently through all three days and finished every round under par. He ended Monday tied for 18th on the leaderboard.

Right behind Harrington was fellow junior Jimmy Hervol, who finished -6. He, like Harrington, had himself a strong Saturday, shooting a 67 and making seven birdies. Hervol had 13 birdies over the course of the tournament, while making birdie on 18 all three days. He finished the tournament tied for 22nd on the leaderboard.

Junior Nabeel Khan and freshman Rodrigo Sanchez each recorded eagles on par fives during the second round of the Arizona tournament. Khan’s eagle came on 11, while Sanchez’s came on hole 2. Khan and redshirt sophomore Drake Hull each finished the tournament -1, while Sanchez finished +3.

A poor third and final round moved UConn down from sixth in the standings to ninth. Three Huskies shot over par on Monday, while they had only two above-par performances total through the two days prior. While the Huskies did lead the tournament in pars made with 179, their lack of scoring can be pinned as their biggest flaw. UConn finished the tournament with the 11th most birdies made. Khan and Sanchez were second and tied for third in the entire field in pars made, respectively.

UConn begins their next tournament Monday, March fifth at the Fort Lauderdale Country Club for the Fort Lauderdale Intercollegiate.

Sean Janos is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu.