Joint Elections Candidate Profile: Comptroller candidate Priyanka Thakkar

Thakkar said that if she is elected, she would like to hold office hours and town halls regularly so student groups who are funded by USG can ask her any questions they have about requesting and receiving funding. (Photo provided by writer)

Comptroller candidate Priyanka Thakkar said she is running for office because she hopes to increase the transparency and accountability surrounding student fee allocation and foster close relationships between Tier II student organizations and Undergraduate Student Government (USG).

Thakkar, a fourth-semester management information systems major, said she currently serves as vice chair of USG’s Student Services Committee and has been a USG senator for the past three semesters. She added that she was highly involved this past semester in USG’s Tampon Time initiative, which aims to provide free feminine hygiene products to students.

Thakkar said she recently helped pass two pieces of legislation in USG.

“One was the university taking steps in the future to help fund free menstrual products for undergraduate students,” Thakkar said. “The other one was supporting providing financial aid for undocumented students, because currently they’re not receiving financial aid.”

Thakkar said that over the past couple of weeks, she has frequently met with the current comptroller to gain an understanding of USG funding policies and has also spoken with many Tier II student organizations to hear their input on USG funding of their organizations.  

“I’ve noticed a disparity between the two (Tier II student organizations and USG), even though we work so closely together,” Thakkar said. “I would definitely improve my relationship with Tier II’s and be more accessible to them.”

Thakkar said that if she is elected, she would like to hold office hours and town halls regularly so student groups who are funded by USG can ask her any questions they have about requesting and receiving funding.

“I also would see myself taking a larger role within the (USG) funding board, because comptroller and funding board, although they work as separate entities, they have similar roles,” Thakkar said. “I would definitely be taking a larger role within funding board and making sure student fees are allocated properly through there.”

Thakkar said her favorite part of being at UConn is gaining motivation from her fellow students.

“I think coming in (to UConn), I really learned how to use mv voice, and that was only because of students around me inspiring me to do so,” Thakkar said. “At the University of Connecticut, there’s a huge diversity of students from multiple areas, and I’ve definitely learned a lot from them, and that’s my favorite part: meeting new people and helping inspire each other to just be better citizens.”

Alexandra Retter is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexandra.retter@uconn.edu.