Kaitlyn Anderson: Graduate Student Trustee candidate

Anderson and her husband are expecting their first child in June 2018. They enjoy spending time outdoors together and rode their bikes across the U.S. after college, Anderson said. (Courtesy/Facebook)

Kaitlyn Anderson is a second year member of the M.D. program at UConn Health running for the Graduate Student Trustee position.

Anderson said being in medical school has led her to do research, which would allow her to be a very thorough and informed representative.

“If an issue were to arise that I wasn’t very informed about, I would do the necessary research before meetings,” Anderson said.

Anderson believes the main problem facing graduate students right now is the budget crisis and funding when it comes to research and tuition.

“I want to be able to be a voice for my fellow graduate students,” Anderson said.

After graduating UConn, Anderson was a full-time property manager for All-Star Properties.

“I managed over 200 residential apartments across Connecticut,” Anderson said. “I was the person in charge of collecting rents, managing payment plans, providing owners with summary statements each month, renting and advertising apartments, holding tenant meetings and office hours for each building and managing the maintenance team.”

Anderson said her success in this role came from efficiency, organization and being able to work well with a diverse group of people. She explained she needed to keep to a budget, work with Section 8 and other public assistance programs and mitigate financial issues.

“I think my diverse background would help me to be able to represent my fellow graduate students well,” Anderson said.

Anderson said she is dedicated to communication with her fellow graduate students.

“I make sure I respond to all the emails in my inbox by the end of the day,” Anderson said.

In order to maintain communication with her fellow graduate students, Anderson said she would be interested in starting a Facebook group, where she could post updates, answer questions and post about what the board of trustees will be discussing.

Anderson said Graduate Trustee is an important position and she would be “dedicated full-force” to her responsibilities. She added that her accessibility would make her the best candidate for the position.

“I also would want to hold office hours at each campus to be able to talk to students,” Anderson said.

Anderson said she enjoys talking to people, which lead to her interest in pursuing primary care as a study.

“I enjoy interacting with people and primary care acts as a home base for patients of all ages,” Anderson said. “You make really unique relationships.”

Anderson and her husband are expecting their first child in June 2018. They enjoy spending time outdoors together and rode their bikes across the U.S. after college, Anderson said.

Anderson said she is always sure to finish all work from medical school, maintain a social and family life, workout and be able to sit down in time for dinner with her husband.

“I have always managed my time very well, and this position would be another priority for me,” Anderson said.

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.